Bishu Osafune Norimitsu, Kazu-Uchi Mono?

O-Midare

Responding to a few comments further up from Ray and others. Actually there are a number of similarities between the illustrated kaziuuchimono per the Aoi Art examples and this sword in question.

I am particularly focused on the not well defined nioiguchi line here - it does not seem well controlled and in places the line is not consistent. The nie and nioi do not seem well controlled. It seems to have better hada than the typical/ Aoi kazuuchimono and in general better than most but I would not go as far as saying “excellent” sword.

• Like 2

Thank Nihonto Collector, I definitely will be enjoying for a long time. This is how I have The Wakizashi displayed, it came with both saya's.

Let us note that the shirasaya is in tora honoki - "tiger striped" honoki.  A better class of honoki shirasaya used for better blades.  Discussion???

BaZZa.

• Like 1

Japanese edged weapons are first weapons and art objects as a second

Good point Chris. I suppose hataraki and a neat nioi-guchi would be the last thing on your mind whilst someone was trying to bludgeon you to death. I now have an image of several Samurai at the front of a battle formation with their blades out, discussing and comparing their art works.
  • Like 2

One more thing about Kazuuchi-mono, Connoisseurs states "rough masame hada". The impression I get is proper junk blades, cheap blades made mainly for the foot soldiers (Ashigaru).

Might just be me, but don't see many ?

You see Bizen waks on Aoi quite often, never with masame. Always with hozen (worthy of preservation)

Obviously not every wak made was an "art" sword, Samurai would have had the better swords, but even then at that time, how many could be classed as "art" swords ?

Just a thought.

• Like 2

because the swords were used up. Like a cheap screw driver that you throw away when it shows signs of wear and that you don't care to pick up if it falls down to the ground.

Most of them won't have survived or better say kept.

Well, they sure do crop up a lot in conversation, beware the dreaded kazuuchi-mono ;-)

• Like 1

As far as I came concerned I had bought one so far ... a 32'' Ubu Bizen Koto blade featruing the most extraordinary Fukure I had ever seen in a blade and an additional 3 Hagire.

Ive had a fukure in a sword by a Jo-saku rated smith, in his prime time. Happens to the best, unless his apprentice made it lol

• 2 weeks later...

Was just checking some swords for sale and came across this.

Special feature : Bisyu Osahune Norimitsu was working at Meiou era to Eisyo era in Muromachi period.

He didn't make Kazuuchimono(mass productive items).

So even if the signature is Bishu mei, the blade is typical regular sword not Kazuuchimono.

He made few sword with Zokumyo sword.

http://www.sword-auction.jp/ja/content/as17541-脇差:備州長船法光長禄四年二月日1460-wakizashi-bishu-osahune-norimitsuchoroku-4-nen-2-gatsu-hi

Dwayne R.

Hello:

Ray is certainly correct in pointing out that all late koto Bizen incorporating "Bishu" in the mei are not necessarily kazuuchimono, far from it, but by the same token Jacques' warning about the danger of internet kantei is equally weighty. People literally travel thousands of miles, for example to the last Tampa show for the primary purpose of on hands study with the possibility of purchasing anything a distinct second. Some of those who attended the excellent NBTHK, AB display of Hizen were in that boat and all blades shown had explanatory information provided. 

At first glance the blade in question seemed to have a rather atypical hamon and a great deal of large nie - neither are damning but they need to be put in the broader context of blade weight, sugata, steel color, etc., all next to impossible to be seen carefully out of hand.

Arnold F.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..