Akita Shoami

Surfson

Thank you for making my point.

No problems, it shows that it does not make it anymore desirable just by getting rid of the oxidation.... the colour/patina is the same (although the photos dont convey this well). I dont think the question is what happens in a few decades with a bit of wax added now, but more, what does a Tsuba look like in a few decades -without- a bit of wax or cleaning now.

• Like 1

Wax on a tsuba, like oil on a blade is a protective barrier.  Conservators and museums worldwide use wax in the stabilization and preservation of metallic objects, use of proper waxes will in no way harm surfaces or damage patina. On the other hand, waxes based on traditionally processed animal fats will overtime breakdown and acidify causing damage.   Unprotected  soft metal tsuba are more susceptible to damage from various factors than those protected by wax.  Again, NO oil ever, and while we are at it NO "soft cloth" dustings....and, of course, never handle soft metal tsuba, or tsuba with soft metal inlays with bare hands.  This is not a manifesto, just sound advice.....DO AS YOU WISH.

Cheers,

-S-

p.s.- Thanks Stephen K for the "Tetsugendo method" thing, but it is not my invention.

• Like 1

Hi

Some of the areas around the seppa remind me of this tsuba

Clouds, raindrop, snow flake, and a tie up bag of wind
Iyo Shoami

Yôshû no jû Shôami Hidenari

予劦住正阿弥秀任 - (H01122.0).

Grev

Grev,

LOVE the finger prints - hope they're not yours???

BaZZa.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..