NEED SOME POINTERS

HELLO,

I HAVE JUST REGISTERED WITH THIS FORUM,I HAVE ONLY BEEN COLLECTING FOR A SHORT WHILE (AROUND A YEAR),I HAVE GOT MOST BOOKS THAT WERE RECOMMENDED TO ME,AND HAVE BOUGHT TWO SWORDS OVER THE PAST FEW MONTHS OR SO,BOTH FROM REPUTABLE DEALERS,IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO DO?IHAVE BEEN WATCHING THIS FORUM FOR A WHILE AND BOY DO I NEED TO LEARN A LOT,

Hi.

The first thing to do is to stop typing all in caps. It represents shouting :)

Next is to sign your post with your name and initial or vice versa.

Lastly..sounds like you are doing things right. First step is books, books and more books. Then only buy from reputable dealers. You have done both of those.

I think the next step is to see if there are any good clubs or organisations in your area where you can see some good swords. Helps to develop the knowledge and tells you what to look out for. Nothing like seeing good swords in person. Perhaps attend one or 2 of the sword shows. There you can inspect some swords for sale, and ask questions from more advanced collectors. Let us know where you are, and see if anyone here is in your area. They can suggest clubs or shows near you.

Seems like you are on the right track. You can also do a lot worse than go through many of the suggested links above and read as much as you can. There is a wealth of info on them that you won't find in the books.

Brian

sorry about the capitals,(i'm not really computer literate) all these green lights looks like something out of a 747 cockpit.....i'm affraid there are no clubs that i know of here (n.ireland),although i'm being taught by a nice guy in america,i'm finding reading kanji a little more than daunting,( is there a knack to it),yes some of those links and the knowledge shown here is incredible,i really had no idea that there was so much to it,my interest came about when my father died (about three years ago) he collected mainly flintlocks but had a samurai sword,so it came to me,beautiful thing,the more i looked at it the more i wanted to know about them,now i'm hooked.

w.g.

Hi an Welcome, it might be good idea to join one of the clubs that is issuing a newsletter, although you cant attended the meetings there is a lot of info on the newsletter. I for instance , am a member of NCJSC in the US. As for kanji it is a matter of practicing, I am not saying you will read fluently :cry: but you will be able to hang around. A good site for this may be Rich T kanji pages on http://www.nihontokanjipages.com/ .

Hope it helps. Mike

HELLO AGAIN,SORRY FOR BEING A REAL PAIN BUT I SEE AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE THERE IS Japanese AUCTIONS AND A Japanese SWORD AUCTION PAGE,KNOWING NO Japanese AT ALL IS THERE AN ENGLISH VERSION I CAN ENROLE ON,?THERE ARE SOME NICE LOOKING SWORDS ON THERE,( I HAVE SOMEMONEY BURNING A HOLE IN MY POCKET AT THE MOMENT....) AND WOULD LIKE A NEW ADDITON TO THE COLLECTION.

MANY THANKS,

WILL

Will....

Caps lock key. Press it until the light goes out..and then post :D

Afraid there doesn't seem to be any Japanese auction sites in English. Most of the sellers don't ship internationally, and you usually need contacts in Japan to facilitate a purchase.

Here is one: http://www.japanauctioncenter.com/

But it does cost a bit. There are others if you search for "bid on Japanese auctions"

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket..why not post a wanted ad in the classifieds and see if any members have something to fit your budget?

Regards,

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..