kozuka

Hi John :)

This is very nice Kozuka and Kyoka-poem.

Meaning is "Flying Mr.Sparrow(bird),I don't know where your home(nest),Come here and let's drink Sake together."

(雀ã©ã®(殿)ãŠå®¿ã¯ã©ã“ã‹çŸ¥ã‚‰ã­ã©ã‚‚ãƒãƒ¨ãƒ„ãƒãƒ¨ã¨ã“ã•ã‚Œ(御座れ)ã•ã‚ã®ç›¸æ‰‹ã«).

Morita

Thank you very much. The poem is by Ota Nampo known as Shokusanjin. He is supposed to be a master of comic verse. The signature on the front is his name Shokusanjin, but, I do not know who made the kozuka. Pretty nice work I agree. If alright with you I shall include your translation when it eventually makes my website. John

Edit: Thank you both. I was writing my reply when the other posts came up. Amazing how that writing can be deciphered, it is so abstract. Great skill. The link was an interesting read. John

Hi John,

Sorry, i was on a biz trip, reply was delayed.

I changed the interpretation and the translation of the poem a little, so please use

this translation of a poem on this posting and a upprer attached photo.

Meaning is:

"Flying Mr.Sparrow(bird),I don't know where your home(nest), chiyo chiyo, come here as a drinking partner".

(雀ã¨ã®ãŠå®¿ã¯ã¨ã“ã‹ã—らã­ã¨ã‚‚ã¡ã‚ˆã¡ã‚ˆã“ã•ã‚Œ(御座れ)ã•ã•ã®ç›¸æ‰‹ã«).

Nampo implies 3 meanings to "chiyo".

1. Calling.

2. Sound of sparrow twitters.

People in Edo era pronounced the twitter of sparrows as "chiyo" (chirp chirp in English).

Modern Japanese people pronounce not chiyo-chiyo but chun-chun.

3. Another meaning in "chiyo"(åƒä»£) means 1000 years or eternal peace.

The same pronunciation "chiyo" is also used in the national anthem of modern Japan.

Best

kiyoshi Morita

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..