Looking For More Information About A Small Wooden Sword From The Edo Period.

Orin_Gibbous

I'm looking for any information about a small wooden sword I recently acquired. I do not intend to sell it, so any info here will not be used for a listing of any sort.

The only thing I know about this sword is that it was carved from red sandalwood sometime during the Edo period.

https://imgur.com/a/PoSR6Om

I asked on reddit and a user suggested it may be a doctor's sword or bokuto but recommended that I come here to ask for more information.

Orin G

Was sold at auction described as of Japanese origin and Edo period for apx. $300. All other items at auction were samurai related such as menuki, stirrups, an assortment of armor parts, various accessories, and tsuba.

Also the blade itself is made of wood and has never had an edge. I don't think it would have served as even a paper knife.

I was accompanying a friend and wasn't really planning on bidding at all, but the design really caught my eye and so I decided to go for it.

Orin G

• Like 1

Well, “...of Japanese origin and Edo period...” is just supposition, not evidence.

Even if I have no idea this item was used for, but I stick to it it’s not Japanese. If You search for knowledge - and that’s why this forum exists - please accept truth although sometimes painful.
It is an interesting piece, however, but try to research in other directions.

Florian

If You search for knowledge - and that’s why this forum exists - please accept truth although sometimes painful.

Florian

I'm not denying that it may not be Japanese in origin, I was just further explaining the situation and why I assumed it was.

I'm well aware what this forum is for, thanks. =P

Orin G

Orin,

This is hardly "some random website".  The answer you got here will not morph into the desired answer of your dreams, no matter how many places you drag it to.  BTW, next place you land at, 'Hat in hand', soliciting free advice......try a better attitude!

Best of luck in your endeavors,

-S-

What's your pointless Orin?

I've been running this place for over 12 years now from South Africa. So? You know many educational sites on the net with this much free info, with authors, museum curators, experts, professors, doctors etc assisting daily?
I gave you the benefit of the doubt up to now. But that comment was unnecessary. Let me show you the door...
Oh, and btw...we also have nihontomessageboard.com so now we are legit, right? :doubt:

Well put Brian! I am the 1st to say it is always unfortunate to not hear what you want to hear out of an opinion but can't say enough great things about this site and the invaluable resource it is.

Also would go further to say there is nothing else like it on the Internet and am disappointed to hear people saying bad things about such a valuable resource..

As has been said already if you don't want to hear opinions don't ask the question otherwise I think one should be appreciative of the opinions of the members of this board.

Orin,

Since your location is shown as Florida, take it to the sword show in Tampa the end of this month.  

https://www.southeastshowsauctions.com

You'll be able to meet a number of the members here on this forum who attend the show as well as others with a great deal of knowledge and experience in greater Asia antiques and artifacts.  

Hope this helps!

Ted  

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..