Old Mumei Tanto Blade Restoration

Guido....where are you when we need you?

I was at the ER, getting stiches for my tongue.  :laughing:

I think Artur got a lot of talent, but also needs a lot of guidance when it comes to Japanese aesthetics, and the finer points of making koshirae. As to non-traditional polishing: don't make me to go there   :steamed: . In this case, there probably wasn't done any harm (because of the blade itself), but I nontheless strongly discourage any amateur attempts, and this forum should indeed be pruned in this regard; thank you, Brian, for always stepping in when it's needed.  :clap:

And I totally agree with your points.

Still...(and I'm not trying to pick any fight; Brian, it is your site and you should do as you see fit)

I see a lot of blades, mostly waki or tanto on ebay that are probably genuine but in a bad shape; I also see people coming on this board, showing an average blade in old plolish or worse and asking whether they should have it polished. Almost invariably, the answer is no, the blade isn't worth it and will cost more to restore tan the purchase price.

So, with that (perfectly sound) reasoning in mind, what will happen to these blades? They'll rust in an attic and get lost to time. Now, if I come and show a rusted Masamune, authentified, going the professional route is the compulsory way! But what about these low grade, mumei blades, Should they disappear or be preserved?

If an amateur polishes it and does a bad job of it, will it be more ruined than letting it rust to oblivion? It won't be good, but at least, maybe, one day, professional hands can save it.

I'm sure there isn't one easy answer to this, but i often wonder what is best and when I see Artur's work, I think that more good than harm was done in that perticular case.

Same old argument we hear every time over and over and over.....
No...you or I cannot judge what was done to the blade with the amateur polish from pics online. What we do know is that metal was removed. And that any tiny wave or dip requires the entire surface to be reduced to bring it back to a professional polish. So how many true polishes were removed by the amateur polish, and how much closer is it to dead/tired now?
Only a professional knows that. He also knows what stones to match the steel, what finish, what features to accent.
Leave it....someone oneday will identify if it is worth a polish and have it done. Maybe in another lifetime. That's why these things are a 1000 year old tradition.

• Like 2

It is all about the basics of NIHONTO. 

Artur may be a gifted craftsman, but if you look at the (admirably professional) sketch of the OSORAKU TANTO, you will immediately see that HA-MACHI and MUNE-MACHI do not align. The angle of the horn AIKUCHI style mounts (FUCHI and counterpart) is wrong and they look more Chinese than Japanese.

I do not criticize the attempt of making a KOSHIRAE but one should be conscient about the limits when originals are involved. I have always admired craftsmen who forge blades in Japanese style and completed them skilfully with mountings, but one should not touch authentic blades without a full and proper traditional training. .  

You do not even know how happy I am with what you wrote. This is the first constructive statement, including the post. Thanks to these few words, I feel better. This is my first forum in my life, I can not move in a maze of wise words, which I often do not understand - especially - contexts. I must also confess that this is my first tanto in my life, which I renew, my first jabaramaki in my life and I did everything for the first time. Without any constructive criticism, I do not know where to go, but I need good criticism, like learning at school, where the teacher is an authority rather than an empty critic.

Thank you for all the constructive words.

I think this forum is not for me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..