Edo Period Tsuba --- Input Welcomed

Tsurugi

Greetings everyone,

First time poster here.

I've acquired an Edo Period –apparently 17th century – Iron tsuba.

Its dimensions are 7.76 / 7.45 cm

From what I have gathered by personal research:

-the motif of the tsuba are two sea cucumbers, which is a simple motif that has been favored by Miyamoto Musashi (1584 – 1645).

-it can be seen that sword blades have actually been changed/mounted more than one time on the tsuba. It likely went through more than one owner. Whether or not the tsuba served in battle is difficult to prove, but since the tsuba was apparently made during the 17th century, it is possible that is has seen the last few years of feudal war before peace. Tsuba made during the Edo period tend to be rather refined pieces of art, while this tsuba is rather practical and down to earth; which tends towards the initial owner being a warrior.

Now, -as I am really new to this - any additional input would be very welcomed : )

よろしくおねがいします.

Tsurugi

post-4852-0-94851800-1549548368_thumb.jpg

post-4852-0-14689300-1549548393_thumb.jpg

Hello Tsurugi,

do have a heartly welcome here....

unfortunately your´s pictures are not crisp enough....

also, you should try to show both sides...

best way is to take it outside and shoot pictures under direct sunlight.....not using a flash.

eitherway....

your´s Tsuba looks good to me and i am pretty shure it is not a modern replica....

Christian

Welcome Tsurugi,

The Musashi style is one I have always been fond of. I am still looking for the one that calls me to add to my collection.

Congratulations on finding yours!

The pictures are a little unclear but it seems there may have been some inlay at some stage

Everyone, first thank you very much for all your comments and feedbacks!

I have read the document, but still am confused about which way you guys agreed…

If I understand correctly, there's a general consensus that the tsuba, although being authentic, lacks the details and refinements usually found on 17th century tsuba, and is therefore more likely to be from the 18th century.

Did I get that correctly?

That's what Steven said. However, he refered to the famous Musashi tsuba, which your tsuba is not (neither is it a Higo tsuba). The maker (and age) of your tsuba can be determined by shinsa. 

Having said that, I think that you might accept the view that this is an Edo period tsuba, most likely 18th c. And I will add that the iron looks good :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..