Kurihara Nobuhide For Meiji Minatogawa Shrine On Buyee

This looked like a very nice sword, and possibly a bargain on an authentic Nobuhide.  Lots of activity like his teacher, Kiyomaro, is famous for.  A little short and the date kanji are a bit rubbed out, but seems like a good deal to me.  

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b369223913

I agree that this is a very beautiful sword. I expect that the issue with the nengo contributed to keeping the price lower than what would be expected for a perfect Nobuhide. My speculation is that there was serious corrosion on the nakago, that has been skillfully addressed (yasuri-mei re-done). 

• Like 1

I like that package. The Koshirae is toppei koshirae, typical for the period just before the fall of the Shogunate. They're quite rare, and this one is done tastefully. It's serious looking also, and the 'utility knife' is a utility shiv in this case, with bevel on both sides. The leather covering makes is resistant to water, as well. This was not for display. 

Nakago corrosion and restoration is one factor killing the price, but the worst offender in my opinion is the size: 66cm is really short for Meiji, where 75+ is the norm for a 'good' sword. Because of its size it will never be considered an exemplar sword of its maker, for better or worst. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..