Bat & Moon Themed Tosogu

Lingonberry

Hi All,

I've been dipping my toes into tosogu and have seen several pieces with a nice bat & moon theme. I quite like this theme and would like to learn more about it - is there a particular story behind it, symbology, etc.

I've also been looking for nice examples of it but so far have only found a few pieces. If anyone has any pictures to share of high quality tosogu featuring this theme I would very much appreciate it!

Bat in Japanese is 蝙蝠 (kōmori). The second character kanji character  by itself has the Chinese reading of fuku, which is a homonym of good luck (福), and therefore bats are synonymous with good luck. I also read where rats were once said to turn into bats after living 100 years, and so bats are also considered a symbol of longevity.

Late Edit: Still looking for some explanation that encompasses both the bat and the moon. There must be one. 

Steve

• Like 4

After posting earlier I dug a little bit further and found some more.

Menuki

Moon and the flying bat carved on Shakudo plate with gold and silver color - mumei

Bats in shakudo - mumei

Bats in silver or shibuichi - Noriyuki

Kozuka

On Shakudo Shukumen-JI (wrinkle-Ji) plate, bat and fan is engraved and inlaid with gold - Yanagawa Naomitsu (Kao)

post-2850-0-49435000-1549467751_thumb.jpg

post-2850-0-26694900-1549467889_thumb.jpg

post-2850-0-77044600-1549467906_thumb.jpg

post-2850-0-89117700-1549468006_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

A few weeks back Darcy had a wonderful iron tsuba by  Goto Ichijo on his site. You can find the tsuba in

"Iron Tsuba -The works of the exhibition Kurogane no hana" page 123. Since I have not the right of use/

copyright I will not show a pic. But perhaps Darcy will show his photos.

Uwe G.

The Bat/Moon tsuba Axel posted above is signed, Inshu Ju Suruga Takaoki.  According to Haynes, he became ninth master of the Suruga family school in 1837.  His father Takashige, was made a retainer of the Matsudaira Daimyo in 1818. Nice Tsuba.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..