Threaded Nakago?

Ran across this on a listing over on the Bay. What is going on here? What happened to this Nakago?post-4803-0-56678800-1549419803_thumb.png

It has NBTHK papers and the oshigata of the Nakago shows this weirdness, so I have to assume it’s “valid” in some way. But extremely curious as to what has happened and why.

I think its exactly what Surfson says..  that threading at the bottom of the tang is a strong indication of a more western style of mounting, with the threading being used to keep the grip assembly on. Probably Kyu Gunto style mounts for an older blade. A real shame, but its historic militaria so if you collect militaria, this is a pretty interesting find.

Another theory: bought by a European and mounted in European grips. The nihonto was well-known by the west as a quality sword, wakizashi being especially popular.

Ben,

Yep, looks exactly like the tang on the blade in the first link. I saw something like this thread when trying to figure this out, but hadn't seen the picture of the threading on the end of the Nakago. Agree it's a shame, as I'm sure a good chunk of the history (Mei) is missing within that portion of the Tang that was reshaped. Still, interesting piece of history.

Gee,

This has turned into an interesting thread. Indeed, I, too, had a Meiji era police or civil official's sword with this kind of modified nakago. I assumed that it was a serious negative condition that would essentially destroy the historical value of the blade. I sold it at a Chicago show to a Japanese dealer  - who immediately and in front of me (!) sold the koshirae to another Japanese fellow!. I am glad that the NBTHK is maintaining these blades! I wish I wanted a Kanenaka. I'd bid on this blade.

peter

• Like 1

Gee,

This has turned into an interesting thread. Indeed, I, too, had a Meiji era police or civil official's sword with this kind of modified nakago. I assumed that it was a serious negative condition that would essentially destroy the historical value of the blade. I sold it at a Chicago show to a Japanese dealer  - who immediately and in front of me (!) sold the koshirae to another Japanese fellow!. I am glad that the NBTHK is maintaining these blades! I wish I wanted a Kanenaka. I'd bid on this blade.

peter

I wonder if he was making a point to a Gajin collector.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..