Edo Period Wakizashi

Bjj

I wanted share some photos my wakizashi .It does not have a signature so I don’t know how the maker could be identified ?I know experts have there way through how crafted to understand the blade.Any knowledge or ideas are appreciated

post-4759-0-67561800-1549399896_thumb.jpeg

post-4759-0-60338000-1549400159_thumb.jpeg

post-4759-0-29102100-1549400180_thumb.jpeg

Christian,

it looks more like a WAKIZASHI than a wazikashi. :) 

Identification is always difficult via photos, but if you could give us all dimensions and show HADA and HAMON clearly on both sides, some of the experts here might give it a try. 

My personal opinion is that it could be a blade from the early EDO period (KANBUN), and the smith knew probably about the weak spot in the NAKAGO so he did not sign his blade.

Christian,

it looks more like a WAKIZASHI than a wazikashi. :) 

Identification is always difficult via photos, but if you could give us all dimensions and show HADA and HAMON clearly on both sides, some of the experts here might give it a try. 

My personal opinion is that it could be a blade from the early EDO period (KANBUN), and the smith knew probably about the weak spot in the NAKAGO so he did not sign his blade.

Ow and wanted say pretty impressive observations .I did not mention because did not want influence statements.But 5 years ago when I first bought the sword .I googled samurai sword experts ,authentication ect .I found a gentleman who Wrote books on samurai swords .If I remember he was out in New York .He was cool enough to let me send him lots pictures .Well long story short he said same thing you said about it’s age “early Edo period “.So just giving you kudos I’m already impressed with first response .

Essentially a fukure is a forging flaw that occurs during the smithing process. It is where the metal did not weld together under the proper temperature due to lack of heat or a carbon/mineral impurity. It then opens up under polishing or if its sufficiently close to the surface. Normally fukure are not considered a fatal flaw unless it is substantial (runs deep/long) Yours is not likely to be fatal, but it is an aesthetic flaw which is the likely reason that the smith chose to not sign it (especially considering it is smack in the middle of where their signature would go). They were willing to sell it, but not destroy it. After all, any blade represents a lot of man hours and effort.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..