Kyu-Gunto Opinion And Translation Request

zook

Gents -  I humbly request a translation on this tang.  This field grade Kyu-Gunto is for sale and I am mulling it over carefully.   :)

I am surprised at how short the tang is.   I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.   

Dan 

post-4102-0-35816600-1549159341_thumb.jpg

post-4102-0-68782700-1549159353_thumb.jpg

post-4102-0-65985000-1549159378_thumb.jpg

I would add to Grey's comment that the nakago is severely compromised due to having been ground down to fit the kyu-gunto koshirae. This damage looks very recent to my eyes.

I separately have doubts about the mei, however even if the mei is authentic this type of damage (and the idea that a non-related blade may have been forced into this koshirae) should be a deterrent.

Thanks Grey and Ray for quick response, and great points!!!  -    I'll avoid. 
Bruce -  no, not showa22, but I can't help notice that the seller may have leveraged (used) some of showa's language in describing Kyū-Guntō.  

Here is link:  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-K49-Japanese-MEIJI-ARMY-OFFICERS-GUNTO-SWORD-SAMURAI-HAND-FORGED/153338700401?hash=item23b3b2e271:g:3osAAOSw6CRcO39p:rk:21:pf:0

The seller seems to focus on general estate/antique sales .. so perhaps not necessarily openly trying to deceive, but who knows.  

Thank you again guys - great learning experience. 

Dan 

Gents - 

I am still learning and navigating the Kyu-Gunto minefield and appreciate the above commentary.   Another Type 19 (field grade) just popped onto the Bay and I am sharing the link.  The nakago looks better than the previous.   The noted gap between the guard and habaki is perplexing to me ... you think it's yet another example of a put-together?   thanks -  Dan 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-WWII-Japanese-ARMY-FIELD-GRADE-OFFICER-TYPE-19-KYU-GUNTO-COMBAT-SWORD/202584416729?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..