39 replies to this topic

#31 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:44 PM

My non-educated guess would be a gift from an Army/Navy officer exchange, training or co-operation mission where a sword with interservice markings would be appropriate.

• Bruce Pennington and IJASWORDS like this

John

#32 Jareth

Jareth

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:40 AM

As a collector of Japanese navy items I recognize the anchor as a smallpin back badge someone adapted. My opinion post war
  • IJASWORDS likes this

#33 Jareth

Jareth

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:43 AM

The anchor & cherry blossom in post 29 is a petty officer's peak cap insignia
  • IJASWORDS likes this

#34 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

Update:
Shared this discussion with Richard Fuller. He passed these pictures of a gunto with the identical set-up as Edward's. Here's his thoughts on it:

"My guess is that was used by the Etajima Naval College or other naval education establishments for drill lessons but would need to be carried by adult students. Have not been able to find the significance of the foul anchor variations."

This quote came with the pictures:

"The plain anchor-in-circle is the cap badge of Navy Preparatory School students so it is possible this sword was owned by such a school. Possibly used for sword etiquette training or parade purposes.

Ted Simpson, U.K."FromRFuller2.jpg FromRFuller3.jpg FromRFuller4.jpg
  • Brian likes this

#35 george trotter

george trotter

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:42 PM

Just surfing the net and found this Type 3 (Rinji Seishiki) with silver mon that was in a Bonhams Auction.

Seems to be special order fittings, Gendaito blade by Noshu Kaneshige dated 2/19.

Mon is described as 'wreath'. Only one photo from the side. The site allows a large magnification and looking closey it certainly does seem to be a flower type mon (maybe kiku?).

Have a look on   http://www.bonhams.c...s/22965/lot/74/   (click on pic and click again to look closely)

Certainly seems to be the SECONd mon we've seen on a Type 3.

Regards,

George Trotter

#36 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:54 PM

“this "desperation" officer's sword.” Really? So “desperate “ it’s in high-quality “non-desperate” koshirae!!! Ha! The lengths people will go to, to spice up the sales pitch!
  • Dave R likes this

#37 george trotter

george trotter

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:03 PM

“this "desperation" officer's sword.” Really? So “desperate “ it’s in high-quality “non-desperate” koshirae!!! Ha! The lengths people will go to, to spice up the sales pitch!

Yeas Bruce, I noticed that too...some desperation sword...did you see the price?.

You didn't comment on the mon...Did you enlarge the pic and have a look at it? Even though you can only see the side quarter of the mon it is clear that it is definitely the real thing...a mon of a flower or something!

This makes two proper mon seen on the Rinji Seishiki (Type 3) now. I think we can accept that they do exist.

Regards,

edit to add picture from Bonham's site

Attached Thumbnails

• Rinji with mon.png

George Trotter

#38 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:01 AM

Yes, and I believe I’ve seen it once before. If I can find it, I’ll post it here. Honestly, there’s no reason a guy who has a mon wouldn’t put it on a Rinji as well as any other. Like Nick says, they’re all gunto.
  • Dave R likes this

#39 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:40 AM

That is one of the nicest Type 3 I can recall coming across. 

John

#40 george trotter

george trotter

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:52 AM

I managed to copy the pic in closeup...not the best but you can see the "flower" edges of the mon.

Attached Thumbnails

• rinji mon close.png

• Bruce Pennington likes this
George Trotter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq