New Kogai

Frank B

I've always loved the subtle yet high end look of Ko-Mino accessories.

At first glance, allot can be missed or glanced over but on a second look while spending a little extra time appreciating the quality, the detail begins to jump out.

There's something about shakudo as well that adds to the high end feeling. That is shakudo right? Haha

I've always loved the subtle yet high end look of Ko-Mino accessories.

At first glance, allot can be missed or glanced over but on a second look while spending a little extra time appreciating the quality, the detail begins to jump out.

There's something about shakudo as well that adds to the high end feeling. That is shakudo right? Haha

Yes, I'm fairly sure it's shakudo. 

• Like 1

Frank,

nice catch. I would rather say it is made of yamagane. I like those lacquer remnants. Then again, I a a sucker for old soft metal kodogu (especially if they still have lacquer)

I'm holding the kogai in hand. The photos make the color seem lighter than in person, it was suggested to me that it is shakudo with less gold than usual.

I looked at this kogai in hand over the weekend under sunlight.  It is very nice but not Ko-Mino by virtue of the difference in height between the nanako-ji and the top of the central design not being that great and the early overall shape of the kogai.  The kogai is also not shakudo but yamagane as suggested by Marius.  The yamagane reminds me very much of the fukurin on a Ko-Katchūshi tusba I have that looks different under different light conditions.  The fukurin in a few places as well as the plate itself still shows signs of the original black lacquer Marius likes.  Here is the weblink to the tsuba I am referring to: https://www.tsubaotaku.com/tsuba-gallery-6 for reference.  It is the third tsuba on the webpage.   I have never seen yamagane as a base soft metal in Ko-Mino group works.  This would generally but the kogai into the large but very nice category of Ko-Kinkō in my educated opinion.  Thinking about it now I should have shown Frank the Ko-Katchūshi tsuba as a point of reference after telling him that the kogai is made of yamagane.           

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..