Hon'ami Evalution Translation

Ron STL

Looking at a couple of Hon'ami evaluations that I haven't looked at for ages, I'd enjoy having them translated kanji by kanji, more complete than I have figured out. The one is a sayagaki by Hon'ami Choshiki of Meiji era. The other is taken from a Hon'ami origami by Hon'ami Ko-on dated 1647. 

Sayagaki is 5 characters reading: Dai-kin (?) hiaku mai, if I'm reading it correction. I thought this was valued at 30 mai (gold coins) but the third character and it's meaning puzzles me.

The origami value is a little different being 6 characters reading: Dai-kin shu (?) (?) mai. This would be helpful to others, too, I would think. Marcus Sesko's book on the Hon'ami family was quite helpful. 

Will somebody give the translations of these kanji x kanji and explain them please? The sayagaki attributes my daito to Bizen Tomomitsu, later attributed to Omiya den by NBTHK. The origami is for a mumei Juyo katana attributed to Bizen Sanenaga. 

Ron STL

post-1311-0-98697000-1548890663_thumb.png

post-1311-0-08701300-1548890685_thumb.jpg

left

代金貮百枚

Dai-kin ni-hyaku mai

Value of 200 mai. 

The kanji for 2 is the complicated form, used on some official documents in order to avoid fraud that might occur with the simpler form. (i.e., with the simpler form it is easy to change a two into a three just by adding a horizontal line, or change a one into a ten by adding a vertical line, etc..)

Right

大金子拾参枚

Dai-kin-ko jyū-san mai

Value of 13 mai.

Here again, the complicated forms of 10 and 3 are used. In this text, 子 (ko) is added after 代金. I am not sure of the significance of the 子, or if it has a different pronunciation. It could also be pronounced -shi, but daikinshi sounds funny to me. Actually daikinko also sounds funny to me. Anyway, I don't believe it adds anything significant to the meaning - it still means "value" or "price". 

• Like 8

Right
大金子拾参枚
Dai-kin-ko jyū-san mai
Value of 13 mai.

Here again, the complicated forms of 10 and 3 are used. In this text, 子 (ko) is added after 代金. I am not sure of the significance of the 子, or if it has a different pronunciation. It could also be pronounced -shi, but daikinshi sounds funny to me. Actually daikinko also sounds funny to me. Anyway, I don't believe it adds anything significant to the meaning - it still means "value" or "price". 

I think it's:

大金子拾参枚

Dai-kinsu jū-san mai

And as you said, both forms mean the same and are commonly found on Hon'ami origami.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve and Dirk, this is so interesting. I found the different pronounciations -- shi, su, ko -- but dif find Su used on one example in Marcus' book on Hon'ami, so that must be correct. As you said, it all means the same. Interesting about the values put on these two swords. Many years ago I showed the "Tomomitsu" (Omiya den) to John Yumoto who poo-poo'ed the attribution but advised me to keep the old saya with sayagaki, which I did. I thought he mentioned 30 gold coins but 13 mai must be correct. 

Also, the big value for the mumei Sanenaga was placed on the sword when it belonged to Tokugawa Yorinobu, Kii province, 10th son of Tokugawa Ieyasu. 

Hope a few others learned something from this translation. Thanks again.  Ron STL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..