Identifying Not So Clear Mei

Dalva

Hello

Im traditional weapon enthusiac from Indonesia n normaly i collect Kris. However i came a cross a katana found in Musi River in Sumatra. The sword already being clean using traditional cleaning method of Kris which seperate steel n iron in different color. So here is the pic please help me identify the Mei which not very clear

post-4833-0-46878100-1548867502_thumb.jpg

post-4833-0-48384700-1548867524_thumb.jpg

Thank you is it Gunto or Nihonto being dress as Gunto ? And what is Kuni means in Katana Mei..is it part of person name or a place name ?

Seriously, could be part of a name or it can be Kuni meaning province

I can read it easily! Says “made in China”!

Sorry, I couldn’t resist!

Lol im ok with made in china as long as the quality of metalurgi shows hard steel and soft steel combine like being shows in this sword with green color (hard steel) and white bluish color is mix of soft and medium steel.

Type Shinogi zukuri on google and you’ll see. Basically, it means the Katana shape everyone is familiar with, a blade with a parallel ridge that runs along the upper part of the sword and a vertical ridge (yokote) near the tip of the sword.

As for the Nakago jiri, I agree that it looks weird for a Gunto. Usually, those were made to side. A cut Nakago like yours suggest a suriage blade (shortened), so maybe a traditional blade shortened to fit a military mount. But it’s such in a bad shape that you can hardly say anything for sure about it.

Then again, there’s just one peg hole, which is weird for suriage.

Type Shinogi zukuri on google and you’ll see. Basically, it means the Katana shape everyone is familiar with, a blade with a parallel ridge that runs along the upper part of the sword and a vertical ridge (yokote) near the tip of the sword.

As for the Nakago jiri, I agree that it looks weird for a Gunto. Usually, those were made to side. A cut Nakago like yours suggest a suriage blade (shortened), so maybe a traditional blade shortened to fit a military mount. But it’s such in a bad shape that you can hardly say anything for sure about it.

Thank you for the info

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..