Loose Tsuba And Seppa Guidance

Manny

Hi all, i am new to sword collection and need a bit of help. I own a Shin Gunto signed by Emura. There is movement in the tsuba and seppa which is corrected when a fourth seppa is added. My problem is that when the seppa is added the blade no longer locks in the saya.

I am less interested in the sword as an investment and more as an article of Japanese military history.

And now for what might be a very naive solution: what are your thoughts on adding shims to the saya so that the blade is held in place without the use of a locking mechanism?

Any help would be greatly apprciated.

Respectfully,

Manny

Generally any Japanese sword is a tight fit, and has an even number of seppa. What you describe sounds like the sword has suffered from shrinkage in the organic parts  of the mounts, or is a mismatch in some way... However, I think an Emura signed blade can get a pass on the odd issue.

• Like 1

Thank you so much. The the military type Tsuba and Fuchi have been replaced with one that appears from the Edo period or is custom made. The blade only has 3 seppa.

Again, thank you. I don't want to do anything dumb.

R/

Manny

Manny, I have a July 1943 dated showato blade in nice Type 98 mounts with the exact same issue. Loose tsuba. Add a couple seppa, the tsuba tightens up, but then the clip doesn't have enough clearance to latch into the scabbard. All the koshirae parts are matching numbered, so either there's been shrinkage in the wood over the past 75 years or so, or possibly the original koshirae has been swapped out. 

I added a couple blank seppa because the loose tsuba bugged me too much when I handed it. But as mentioned above, unless you're planning on cutting with it (which you really shouldn't) it isn't too much of a problem. 

Traditionaly 

Thank you so much. The the military type Tsuba and Fuchi have been replaced with one that appears from the Edo period or is custom made. The blade only has 3 seppa.

Again, thank you. I don't want to do anything dumb.

R/
Manny

Photo's would be good.

Hi guys,

Wood shrinks across its width but not along its length; shrinkage isn't the problem.  Maybe the new fuchi has a thinner plate than that of the military fuchi it replaced, and thus the wiggle.  Adding a seppa moves the fuchi and spring clip too far away from the saya and the clip doesn't catch, so how about putting a paper shim inside the fuchi to take up the gap (effectively lengthening the tsuka).  Could work.

Grey

• Like 3

Wow, thank you so much. I want to do the right thing. I was told by AOI Japan that the Emura signature appears legitmate. I don't want to anything that dishonors the blade or the soldier that once owned it.

Thank you, again

R/

Manny

All good advice from members...Also, I see your from Winter Park, approx. 80 miles from Tampa. Japanese sword show is at end of Feb. Might be worth a drive over, I'm sure sword show participants/venders can adjust your sword fittings just the way you would like them. Proper length Chuso, seppa, what ever may be required. I'm sure you would find trip very interesting and worthwhile.

https://www.southeastshowsauctions.com/tampa-2019.html

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..