Outdoor Pics Of Edo Wakizashi

Well considering no matter what I do, with the equipment I have, I can't seem to get any decent photos of the "soul" of the Nihonto. Such as a detailed hamon or Hira-Ji, etc... So I tried some "outdoor pics" of an Edo Wakizashi I have for reference.

If you zoom on the pics, you can see areas of large black clouds of Nie, which look like reflection or glare at first, but up close you can see they are silver nickel/dime sized groups of Nie... It's neat to see it continue into the actual structure of the steel (you can see it in the BoHi too). I think it's called "Yubashiri"? Or Sumigane maybe?

Prior to noticing the ones that overlap the Ji and Shinogi-Ji, I used to think the Nie was only surface or barely continuing to just beneath the surface but now see it goes much deeper.

Anyways, I have posted images of this item before but the pics were low quality. I hope everyone enjoys these! The camera doesn't do justice tho.

Most the pics are too large to upload, so here's the link to my flickr page

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmwTCprM

post-4634-0-05742600-1548536095_thumb.jpg

post-4634-0-56771900-1548536231_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That did the trick, great looking shots Dwain, really caught the detail and contrasting textures!

Well done,

-S-

Thanks but thers still so much missing in the photos I feel.

This Waki is a bit tired I think , unless what I'm seeing is just super tight jigane/jihada with areas of jie-nie. Wish I could get some super detailed pics so you guys can tell me what I'm looking at. Also, in the pic of the almost entire length of blade, that is actually the bad looking side imho. The pic of the other side, which has a better looking hamon was too large but is on Flickr in the link I posted.

The Nie starts to turn a matte grey the deeper it gets into the metal and in the transition from Ji into BoHi/Shinogi-ji.

It has somewhat of a strong Hada that looks chu itame/matsukawa (maybe a little tired as I mentioned) with ji-nie and many clouds of concentrated black nie. I just noticed a couple lines of Chikei too which cut across parts of the Ji diagonally ending in the top of the varying Gunome midare Hamon... There's feint Nioi deki with Ko-Nie, which under light disappears but in normal lighting, when angled, becomes visible as a grayish deformed choji ashi ghost line with several medium and large "horned circles" resembling cresting waves which face each other.

• Like 2

Nice dense hada as Greg notes.  Dwain, your photos are quite good, but you can't expect to capture all of the features in a couple of shots.  Different features need varying light sources and angles to bring them out, just as you examine a blade in hand...this is why a good photographic presentation is comprised of many images.  You are definitely on the right course, these pictures are a quantum leap, keep at it!

Cheers,

-S-

• Like 2

Great photos, nothing really beats sunlight and good angles for seeing details. I do hope I am mistaken when I say it looks like it is lying flat on a hard rough surface  :o

lol GOD NO! But I was totally thinking that as I was taking the pictures...Its the back of my house, its stucco. I was holding it about 6 inches away so my camera would not focus in the background like it loves to do. But no, Im standing and holding it up, so the shot is actually parallel with the ground below and stucco wall behind

Nice dense hada as Greg notes.  Dwain, your photos are quite good, but you can't expect to capture all of the features in a couple of shots.  Different features need varying light sources and angles to bring them out, just as you examine a blade in hand...this is why a good photographic presentation is comprised of many images.  You are definitely on the right course, these pictures are a quantum leap, keep at it!

Cheers,

-S-

Thanks man! Its amazing what I keep finding in these blades! At first glance they can see, kinda plain but after a few looks, under different sources as you said, new things jump out every time!

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..