Opinions On Nagamaki

Greetings,

So far I would agree with the thought that this is not an older blade (at this time), my guess would be shinshinto. With a chipped tip and a chip at the yokote it will be important that the polisher has excellent foundation polishing skills, especially when considering the importance of the o-kissaki to this sword, not to mention the chunk of change that will be invested (new habaki, new shirasaya, origami).

I appreciate the information as always.

I have already emailed Bob to see if I can send it his way..

Can't get over how formidable of a sword this is a. Understanding that I would be underwater in the restoration I still am having a hard time with the idea of not restoring it. For me these blades fall into categories of elegance and formidability. I recently bought a kozori daito from Bob that handles the elegant side of things and I'm super excited for this one to hopefully handle the formidable side.

Again I very much appreciate you guys for the wealth of knowledge!

When i was a Kid in the 80s I thought the Toyota Supra to be a firmidable car... would i get a Rusty one restored? No. IG i had bought one back then i would have thought different. Maybe in some year you will looks swords with a diffetent view, too.

Maybe those of US Who think it to be Shinshinto are wrong.

Again I appreciate the advice and respect the knowledge. Difference of opinion i.e. Not everything in the world for me is about money and some things deserve to be treated differently. I think it's a sad thing when these swords fall by the wayside because they are not old enough or not by a famous maker. I understand it from a monetary aspect but looking at the world as not only monetarily based it makes me sad..

But again I totally understand the point of view and understand that you disagree with mine. Of course I would have been happier if everyone said it was koto but again beautiful things are beautiful And I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.

Good luck with the supra!

To reiterate I very much appreciate the knowledgeable opinions of yourself Luis and those that join you to teach we lessors in the field.

For me I do not really get into this for monetary gain as much as I do for the collecting idea. I have been called something of a black hole in that once I get something I pretty much keep it.. I will have a nice estate sale one day..

Beg to differ as i have Shinshinto Masayuki that is exactly like this but zaimei, ubu. It is with Tanobe sensei but looks to be Seki Shinshinto at the moment (the Masayuki that is)

Beg to differ as i have Shinshinto Masayuki that is exactly like this but zaimei, ubu. It is with Tanobe sensei but looks to be Seki Shinshinto at the moment (the Masayuki that is)

I appreciate the replies and would love to see some pics of the masayuki if you have any for comparisons sake

also wondering about the tsuba.. It used to have some kind of gold decoration running along the side but it seems to have been lost to the sands of time. I definitely like the wood grain and figure it is nothing special but wondering if it is shin shinto as well

post-4776-0-63638100-1548786445_thumb.jpg

post-4776-0-42000900-1548786574_thumb.jpg

忠之魂

Chu-no-tamashii.

The reading for 忠 is "tada" if it is used in a name.  However, if it is used as anything other than a pronoun the reading is "chu" (long u... for some reason I can't input diacritical marks on this keyboard). 

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E5%BF%A0

(Actually, the reading can also be "chu" even if the word is a pronoun.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..