New To The Nihonto Forum...wakizashi Acquisition

sashikomi2019

Hello All,

I am a brand-spanking new member to the Nihonto Family...I am expecting a new wakizashi acquisition within the next few days...the previous owner seems to be a genuine student and has done some extensive research with the info provided...the mumei blade is beautiful with striking sashikomi, but the tsuba is highly unconventional/atypical (iron with silver inlay), as well as the paired menuki (separate owl and crow motif).  I will not post the time period yet, as I hope anyone interested can provide some insight...attached are some pix for your review and enjoyment.

Sincere regards to all,

Chris san

post-4826-0-93385300-1548129177_thumb.png

post-4826-0-68828900-1548129225_thumb.png

post-4826-0-01352900-1548129421_thumb.png

post-4826-0-93907000-1548129620_thumb.png

Welcome to the NMB! Make sure to put your name in your signature so that other members can properly address you! Also, just my opinion, but the Ito doesn't particularly look like silk, more like cotton so I think its been assembled from parts. But I am just a novice myself! I do know the experts will want to see the whole blade without its fittings, in particular the nakago (the tang!) So much can be told from the pattern of the hamon and the shape/patination of the nakago.

Hi Chris welcome to Nmb. The wrap on the tsuka looks like its been done recently by an amateur. The blade looks ok but more and better pics would help members to give more accurate opinions. I think Chris W is correct about the parts put together. Best of luck.

Greg

Chris,

not talking about the rest of the KOSHIRAE, but owl and crow MENUKI could make for a fine pair, if they were from the same hand! 

TSUKA-ITO is not good, as was already said, blade looks fine so far. TSUBA seems to be from a HAMIDASHI or TANTO. KARAKUSA decoration is not unusual. More pictures would help to make up an opinion.

Hi Chris,

Welcome to NMB.

It's hard to say very much based on the pictures as, in order to get anywhere close with kantei I need good clear photographs of the whole blade plus some neon signs, flashing arrows and a good deal of luck...

...but the general rule as regards boshi is that in koto blades the shape of the hardened edge is a continuation of the shape of the hamon in the rest of the blade and in shinto blades it becomes suguba. This is what I think I can see in the picture of the whole blade. Also I think the overall sugata points towards kanbun shinto (1660's) having a shallow curvature, showing some difference in width from the habaki moto to the yokote and having a smallish kissaki.

If you are able to take some pictures of the tang and maybe some close ups of the hada, hamon and boshi that might help with pinning it down. The hamon looks quite distinctive and is ringing some bells but I can't quite place it for now - shinto Bizen maybe. 

I'd agree with the comments above about the koshirae, it looks like a replacement tsuka, probably modern and seems too long for a wakizashi. The tsuba is an unusual size: for a wakizashi they are normally a little smaller than those for a katana or exceptionally wakizashi have aikuchi mountings with no tsuba. This seems to be a half way house - I'm not saying it's unique - almost every rule regarding Japanese swords has its exceptions and I come across something I haven't seen before with alarming regularity. How's the fit? If it's loose it might indicate that it wasn't made for or fitted to the blade but was added later to make up the set. I can't say too much about the saya but an absence of dings or scuffs might indicate recent manufacture.

Best,

John

Arigato gozaimasu to everyone making acceptance into the Nihonto Forum a very warm and welcoming experience!  Thanks to everyone's initial input/insights into my wakizashi, which are most appreciated...in the meantime, I will try and post additional photos of the nagako and blade...

• Like 1

Not pretending to be an expert, but suguha yakidashi, straight hamon in boshi suggest shinto, Bizen like hamon could point towards something related to Ishido, but given the time period it is not that exclusive…

Hamon does not have a lot of activity, which is ok for shinto, but its very uniform and glossy appearance might have been exaggerated by the "polish", which seems to include a tad more acid than needed, while the ji was not really worked at all.

Good news - it seems to be a real old sword, with possibly attributable school. Bad news - it feels someone prepared it as a "package" recently, with poorly done tsuka, "polish" and there are some quality issues with the blade.

P.S. "sashikomi" is a very American term, which in my experience is basically misleading. 

Kirill R.

Okay...much learned over the past 24 hours regarding this thread - thanks to all who weighed in on providing a pictorial evaluation of the wakizashi I presented...

I am not ready yet, but @ some point soon, I would like to purchase a signed (mei) wakizashi or katana either in shirasaya or tsuka with full korishirae...not looking for the "Holy Grail," just an honest blade with some modest lineage behind it (Edo Period or earlier UNLESS there is a modern (Gendai?)) along with its own understated aesthetics and craftsmanship.  THE BLADE IS THE SOUL OF WHAT I AM SEEKING...If the price is right, it can also be a "sleeper" with the promise of potential value if proper restorative polishing is needed, but I know this can be quite expensive. I am willing to pay around $2,500, but can go up a bit if your valued recommendations warrants it...If you actively follow eBay or other websites selling Japanese swords, keep me posted and let me know if you see something that fits my price range and preferences...

Kind regards to all...

• Like 1

Okay...much learned over the past 24 hours regarding this thread - thanks to all who weighed in on providing a pictorial evaluation of the wakizashi I presented...

I am not ready yet, but @ some point soon, I would like to purchase a signed (mei) wakizashi or katana either in shirasaya or tsuka with full korishirae...not looking for the "Holy Grail," just an honest blade with some modest lineage behind it (Edo Period or earlier UNLESS there is a modern (Gendai?)) along with its own understated aesthetics and craftsmanship. THE BLADE IS THE SOUL OF WHAT I AM SEEKING...If the price is right, it can also be a "sleeper" with the promise of potential value if proper restorative polishing is needed, but I know this can be quite expensive. I am willing to pay around $2,500, but can go up a bit if your valued recommendations warrants it...If you actively follow eBay or other websites selling Japanese swords, keep me posted and let me know if you see something that fits my price range and preferences...

Kind regards to all...

Hello and congratulations on the nice blade!

My advice is to check the "for sale" section here on NMB. Members post great Nihonto for decent pricing allot of times. So please check here first and you will be pleasantly surprised!

• Like 1

I am not ready yet, but @ some point soon, I would like to purchase a signed (mei) wakizashi or katana either in shirasaya or tsuka with full korishirae...not looking for the "Holy Grail," just an honest blade with some modest lineage behind it (Edo Period or earlier UNLESS there is a modern (Gendai?)) along with its own understated aesthetics and craftsmanship.  THE BLADE IS THE SOUL OF WHAT I AM SEEKING...If the price is right, it can also be a "sleeper" with the promise of potential value if proper restorative polishing is needed, but I know this can be quite expensive. I am willing to pay around $2,500, but can go up a bit if your valued recommendations warrants it...If you actively follow eBay or other websites selling Japanese swords, keep me posted and let me know if you see something that fits my price range and preferences...

Kind regards to all...

Or, but, unless, if, can also be?  Consider the benefits of being patient.  1. Gives you time to study more.  2. Gives you time to add to your sword fund.  3. Gives you  time to decide what you want.  4. Gives your sword time to find you.  Enjoy the search; it's part of the fun!  

Sashikomi is a polishing process, whereas using acid to etch a hamon is destructive, and the result looks nothing like an actual sashikomi finish. Sashikomi is indicated when the actual hamon stands out on its own without needing artificial assistance (i.e. hadori or nitric acid).

Chris, please make your first investment in some books! Sure, it's helpful to listen to other members' opinions, but you are the one who will be the sword's caretaker, & the more you know about blades before you buy, the better. Do a quick search for some reading recommendations. Welcome aboard.

• Like 1

Welcome to the NMB Chris :)

Here is an article about sashikomi and hadori (kesho) polish:

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/togi.html

and:

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/togistyles.html

BTW, Kojima san's site is a treasure trove and you should read all articles in the "Information" section:

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/

Attached is a photo of a sword in sashikomi. Please note that the shinogi ji has not been burnished (it is a very good sword, BTW, a Takada Tadayuki with excellent blueish steel and utsuri - sorry about the quality of the photo)

post-221-0-82197600-1548749088_thumb.jpg

Below is another example of sashikomi polish. 

post-221-0-26328100-1548749185_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..