Across The Eras - New Masame Family Addition

Vermithrax16

In Nihonto, things go really, really slow. Until they go very fast.

Most longer term members know I have a masame hada addiction. It took me a long time to settle on a purchase last early summer, an outstanding katana by the Mito master Suifu Ju Katsumura Norikatsu. You can read about it here:

When I started really going into this study I favored Ishido school swords (still love them) and some other works. I saw my first masame sword right here on NMB, and I was lost to the art. Something just speaks to me about the flow and structure. Who can really explain their own desires? It is what it is for me.

I posted here late last year about looking for another masame sword, thanks to all that reached out. I was fully prepared for another year long search and waiting period.

But, what if the very sword that I saw here on NMB was a possibility?

When I saw Moderator Jean was moving on from his Gokaden Collection, I was scared. I was scared because the VERY sword that ignited my love and pursuit of masame works started right there. It's here in this thread:

Longer story short, I was able to work with Jean (with help from a couple of friends) and arrange for myself to become the next care taker for this sword. It's an honor.

I won't re-tell the whole story on this sword, though it's an amazing one. The sword also came with a Tensho koshirae that is so menacing looking, it almost looks like it wants to get into a fight. So well done.

I welcome the newest addition to my Nihonto family, a Yamato Hosho/Tegai Kanekiyo masame work.

Please review Jean's older thread about the sword, it's interesting and a good education on attributions.

The sword has two sayagaki. The first is by Dr. Honma (Kunzan) in 1972:

Yamato Hosho

Greatly shortened

Blade length ~ 66.3 cm

Written by Kunzan [Honma Junji] in December of the year of the rat of the Showa era (1972) for

Sakurada Mitsuha + monogram

On the other side is Tanobe Michihiro and his comments from 2011:

Hosho from Yamato Province

Greatly shortened and unsigned, dates to the end of the Kamakura period.

This is a masterwork whose ji and the ha show the characteristic features of this school.

Addendum to my former teacher Kunzan’s [Honma Junji] inscription, written by Tanzan Hendo

[Tanobe Michihiro] in June of the year of the hare of this era (2011) + monogram

post-4009-0-88003300-1548120389_thumb.jpg

The sword was submitted to NBTHK Shinsa and came back as Tegai Kanekiyo. Early Tegai works showed excellent masame so it's not a huge jump from Hosho.

In hand I can't explain (and can't photograph for crap, as I learned tonight.....) the vivid masame that flows through the sword. Held from nakago and in correct light angle, it runs and flows along the blade. At the kissaki, the lines of the masame condense and turn up to tip of the kissaki. As this sword is suriage, cannot see if masame turned down at hamachi. The nie deposition is heavy. Sungashi abound in hamon, long kissaki, I could go on.

I can't be more happy. An almost 700 year old sword, it's in perfect condition. And what a way to bookend masame works, my Norikatsu was made in 1867 and the Hosho/Tegai was made in late Kamakura or early Nambokucho, red circles below:

post-4009-0-68903700-1548120522_thumb.jpg

My pictures don't do it justice, will try for better photos soon:

post-4009-0-92353400-1548120548_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-60779800-1548120563_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-12078400-1548120574_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-91284900-1548120593_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-56710100-1548120612_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-68902900-1548120624_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-56890600-1548120636_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-95965400-1548120648_thumb.jpg

The new sword on top, then Norikatsu below, masame set:

post-4009-0-60916300-1548120699_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-42376300-1548120821_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Jeremiah,

A truly wonderful blade, an apt and satisfying next piece for the collection.  I'm sure Jean is happy that it found a new owner that will treasure it as much as he had, care for it well.  Some things are meant to be.

Cheers,

-S-

p.s.-The view from the summit is clearer than that of the valley.....continue to aim high.

• Like 2

Congratulations Jeremiah. 

This is what collecting really means. You set yourself a goal, to find the best masame hada blade possible. What you have now is eerily close to the summit of masame craftmanship. Anything closer and prices moves exponentially for gradually less emotional dividends. 

The provenance is excellent. This blade comes from jean, a discerning collector, and before that was a on DTI consignment catalogue. Moreover, it was not papered at the time (carried risk) although mitigated by two authoritative sagayaki. The blade was bought at a good price, and then passed on to you for a good price also. This blade has Juyo potential and you should consider submitting it. It may not be a slam dunk first try, but it's clearly worth a shot.  

You could have browsed the big online dealers like a monkey on cocaine making impulsive purchases of problematic blades at a premium, seeking the next hit to feed the hoard. But no, you were patient. You waited, and when opportunity came up you took a social risk and you seized it.

Now that you're so close to the top, with two examples - the original masame and a latter shinshinto work paying homage to the method - you need to consider what to do. The wise answer, in my view, is not going to be more masame (That's hoarding) or better masame (price takes a steep elevator)Will you stop collecting? Will you move on to another attribute which fascinates you? Where to go... 

• Like 2

Well done for achieving this! It is a very good sword and it epitomises Yamato and its archetype - whether Hosho or Tegai, it does not matter that much. Importantly it comes with a Kunzan sayagaki (these are rarer) and the old koshirae. So, a great package throughout.

I shall not make presumptions about what can be achieved economically by you or whether you might wish to continue buying masame hada swords or not. That would be over-reaching but there is a whole spectrum to collect within Yamato den and also in between Koto and ShinShinto (the two endpoints in your collection). In my own collecting approach I have decided to focus on one school and trace it from an old era to perhaps around early Muromachi at most (very likely I shall stop at Nanbokucho or very early Muromachi).

You have done very well and again - congratulations! Study and treasure the sword and it would give you many hours, days and years of enjoyment. Like others on the board, I have discovered new things in my blades when i look at them at different moments in time, with different light (various artificial lights but also daylight) and also laying them one next to another to contrast and compare.

• Like 4

In all modesty (lol) all my swords are stunning, I keep the Yamato tanto and the juyo Ryokai. Unsold at the time being the Yasumitsu which is fantastic compare to what I have seen on the Web during the last decade. Generally, all daito for sale I have seen were suriage, this one is ubu with a ko kissaki and tachi signed.

• Like 2

Jean

From what I know of your swords I would agree they are all stunning. 

Congratulatuons to Jeremiah for becoming the latest custodian of what is a fantastic looking sword. I admit to being more than a little envious :(

I have seen so few Hosho swords I cannot even attempt a reasoned assessment of  the validity of the differing opinions. In the end you have to ask does it matter?

what you now have is a sword that is nearly 700 years old in excellent condition and truly beautiful.

well done to all involved it is great when a sword finds the right home!

• Like 2

... Like others on the board, I have discovered new things in my blades when i look at them at different moments in time, with different light (various artificial lights but also daylight) and also laying them one next to another to contrast and compare.

I've sometimes seen my swords in a different light when someone else is holding them and the light is right, as if a little distance changes the way one perceives the sugata.

Congratulations Jeremiah and I'm sure most of us are on the sidelines cheering mightily that a fellow collector has achieved a tightly held desire.  I just love your new sword, particularly the "spotted nie" sprinkled surface.  Magnificent.

BaZZa

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..