Yikes! What Is This?

Mister Gunto

I came across this photo of some damage on a katana being sold online. I'm not so much interested in the sword, as to just what would cause this weird damage?

It looks like the blade took a hit after being polished, and fresh rust has settled in. But what would cause that weird crazing or spider-webbing in the steel? It's like the surface steel is cracking. 

Have any of you seen something like this before? Just curious. 

post-4406-0-49087100-1548116093_thumb.jpg

Hi Bradley it looks like the blade has been hit by something and taken a chunk out of it and it hasnt been taken care of since. There may have been a weekness in the steel before it was hit too. The web is spider web rust, its rust traveling outwards I think. A shame.

Regards

Greg

• Like 3

Well I'm having trouble with this one.  It's a bit like one of those images that your brain can see in one of two different ways.  I think I am seeing some sort of lump on the surface rather than a chunk taken out.  Wouldn't that make more sense of the spider rust as well?

Like Franco I am interested in the two vertical lines at the hamon but they look rather more like formations to do with the yakiire than hagiri from this shot.

Well, I'll just wander quietly off into the undergrowth and book an appointment with my optician then, shall I?   :dunno:

• Like 2

Agree with Ken ( post # 2), severe impact causing micro-shinae (fracturing). Impact could have been caused as John mentioned by shrapnel as smaller impact can be seen at lower right of photo also causing shinae. Micro-shinae normally invisible to the eye may have become visible due to rust.

• Like 1

I see what you're saying. Although, to me, the lump seems more of an optical illusion caused by the angle of the blade mune. The weld could be a repair, or the rusted over edge of a cut mark? 

I'm probably putting too much into this. I just think its very odd damage. I've collected military bayonets long before I got into Japanese swords. Many turn up really thrashed. And yet I've never seen anything quite like this. 

The shirasaya with this one is super nice!

This Katana looks like a later gen Kanemoto? Or at least Mino. The extreme uniform "3" sanbon-sugi is strong in this one

At first I thought it was a lump but as I looked closer, it does appear to be an optical illusion and a chunk is missing. I wonder if it can be restored? You can see in this pic that the damage is almost at the kissaki.

post-4634-0-33547100-1548638329_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The seller takes non-flattering pics. The spider webbing are surface corrosion that are crawling along the surface, it’s just a surface effect. when there is active rust it acts like a catalyst and drives rust on the surface that spiderwebs our and ruins the surface finish. Ruining the finish allows more surface area and so corrosion will tend to set in faster, but the white spiderwebbing our from an opening or active rust is typical, it’s just this seller takes too honest photos (relatively speaking) and shows cloudy spider-webbing all the time. I’ve purchased a blade from them and it looked way worse in their photos. In hand the white webs will actually look black/dark. The seller’s lighting typically shows flaws well, which is actually a decent thing to do.

Tho area of white (looks like hadori) in between the ?active rust hole? And the spider webbing is probably evidence of someone going to town and trying to remove the rust at some point.

• Like 3

Looks like it may have been a shrapnel hit which seems to have created a couple of hagire in the edge opposite to it. The seller states that it has some cracks. The old rust in the deep pit wasn't completely neutralized or removed when it was polished and started growing again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..