Wwii Sword I.d. Help

Hello everyone,

New member, and first post. Thank you ahead of time for any help with gathering info on a sword that I recently inherited. I know very little about this sword other than that it has been with my family for well over 30 years now, and that it is razor friggin sharp! My own research has led me to the point of posting for help due to the huge amount info available online and limited time available to absorb it all.

Will post a few photos along with this post, and if any additional photos will help please let me know.

Would love to find out if this is one of the machine made or traditional blades, and any other interesting bits of information available. I am located in the California bay area and would like to know if there are any reputable places in my area where I can take the sword for further identification and or possible sale.

Thank you again

Adam J.

post-4823-0-89115000-1547954801_thumb.jpg

post-4823-0-86946700-1547954957_thumb.jpg

post-4823-0-63135700-1547955129_thumb.jpg

post-4823-0-58789100-1547955188_thumb.jpg

post-4823-0-69910400-1547955321_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Adam and welcome!

Your sword is a civilian katana, probably Shinto, ie made after 1603.   It has been mounted for use in WWII.  It has been shortened at the tang, (nakago), which is why the signature is incomplete.  What is there says Bizen no Kuni no ju and then what might be part of the kanji for Naga or something else.  It appears to have a pierced tsuba, which is nice, and as far as I can see all the parts are numbered 4.  

I have not seen the little button with the star on it at the throat of the scabbard, (saya).  Could you manage a better phot of that?

Check the faq for care and don't be tempted to clean anything.  

Enjoy!

All the best

• Like 2

Geraint - Thank you very much for the reply and info. I will absolutely post more detailed photos later today,and will take close ups of the release button/star.

Yes, all pieces are clearly punch marked 4.

Would you mind elaborating on re-mounted civilian Katana's please.I assume it may have been a family's sword that was re-mounted at time of military service? And just to be clear, this is NOT a machine made blade, but a traditional correct?

Yes, it is a old sword probably 350+ years old remounted in fairly typical Type 98 Shin Gunto Koshirae. Old swords like these were quite popular and were either sourced from large sword appeals or direct from the family themselves. It appears that your example has a rare and unusual secondary retention latch release on the scabbard throat, can you confirm if this can be pushed in to release the small latch coming through the sword guard?

• Like 2

Wow!I am beyond shocked with this info....thank you all very much indeed. At this point I am torn between keeping this sword as a family heirloom, or selling it to a collector who will keep it safe. Are there any museum's that may take this to display yet allow my family to retain ownership?

Anyhow I took a few more photos of the release buttons, and if any more are needed please let me know. And again I want to thank all of you for your help.

Adam J.

post-4823-0-62062600-1547995215_thumb.jpg

post-4823-0-60188600-1547995275_thumb.jpg

post-4823-0-37322400-1547995325_thumb.jpg

Dear Adam.

Thank you for the follow up photos, that's an unusual feature and adds to the interest.

As regards the sword's future, when you say it came into your family at least thirty years ago does that mean that someone at that time bought it?  If it has a family history dating back to WWII then do some digging and see if you can find out more of the story, you never know you might be in for a surprise.

I am sure that many others here will tell you not to pass it to a museum.  A vanishingly small number of museums have anyone who knows anything about Japanese swords and it will probably end up gradually decaying in storage.  Should you discover that it has no family history and you do not wish to keep it then offer it here in the For Sale section and it will find a home with a collector who will cherish it.

If you do discover some family history I am sure we would all like to hear it.

All the best.

• Like 3

Hello Adam,

I agree with Geraint and suggest you do a bit of research as to family origin. It could be very interesting indeed.

The Military Antiques and Museum in Petaluma may be a good place nearby to gather more information and they have a collection of Japanese swords on display. Might be worth a short drive to visit!

• Like 1

Vajo - thank you for the correct assembly instruction. I re-assembled it in the same order it was in when it came into my possession. Possibly assembled incorrectly by my uncle or grandfather.

Geraint - I hear you loud and clear, thank you for the advice. Now that you mention it I do recall a past incident involving the owner of the petaluma military museum, and the end result was not one of a positive note.... ;)

And as far as personal family history with this sword is concerned, the story is as follows.

I have had my eye's on this sword as long as I can remember, and I am now 39. It has switched hands between my grandfather and my uncle several times over the years, and was accompanied by a Japanese battle flag that sadly was sold to a collector in Rhonert park CA last year due to financial issues that occur when family members pass on. The sword has now come into my possesion by inheritance as I am the last remaining of my family line. I remember several times hearing that one of my Grandfathers friends had brought this back from the war and gifted it to him several years after returning back to the states. My grandfather was a bomber pilot, so it is very unlikely that he was the original "importer". I will seek more info among those remaining who may know more and will post anything I find of relevance here.

Lastly, I would not assume that there is any way to give an accurate appraisal over the internet, but is there a ballpark amount that can be expected from a specimen such as this?

Adam J.

Adam, Sorry to hear about the Petaluma military museum. Looks as though they have quite an extensive collection including Japanese swords. However, your still in a great area for Japanese sword information and study. Clubs, collectors, SF sword show, etc... I would estimate value at near $1500...

• Like 1

Well again I thank all of you for the help. I think I will post this for sale here and let someone who can fully appreciate this give it a home. 

Would 1,250 be a reasonable price? How would a transaction be handled if not in person? Wondering how both myself and buyer would be safe against fear of fraud, etc?

Consider bringing it to the next meeting of the Northern California Japanese Sword Club, third Sunday in Feb, 12:30 - 3-ish, Japanese Cultural Center in Japantown, SF.  A number of experienced collectors will be happy to give you input about your sword.  It's free, and all are welcome to attend.

Les

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..