Japanese Swords - Macarthur Memorial, Richmond, Va

zook

Hi folks.  

I have a dated, color photo book (coffee table size) on the Pacific War which offers photos of a significant collection of showa period swords.  

The photo attributes the swords to the "MacArthur Collection."    I had heard some stories in old reference works that the General had a fair number of Japanese swords (not shocking to me).   I finally made a trip back to the museum this past Fall ... but was disappointed in the displays.  There were only 4 swords displayed in the entire museum (which, by the way,  is quite large).  Three of the swords are attributed to famous generals (Togo and Yamashita)   You will notice in the photos it says that the sword is "reported to have" belonged to Yamashita.  I have my doubts (... just an opinion).   I apologize for the quality of photos -  hard to take good shots with my phone and the glass case.  

Dan 

post-4102-0-43237100-1547255033_thumb.jpg

post-4102-0-37747500-1547255066_thumb.jpg

post-4102-0-80271100-1547255127_thumb.jpg

post-4102-0-24122100-1547255179_thumb.jpg

post-4102-0-23466100-1547255206_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

When I saw the sword in the display attributed to General Yamashita,  the attached Getty photo immediately came to mind.   For a sword attributed to a well-known general, why would the Sarute be removed?  

Anyway - I inquired about the collection and recently heard back from the museum curator.  He admitted they do have a much more expansive collection (not further defined) but do not display the swords due to space constraints.  They are considering a "digital display" in the near term under the archives section of the website.   Dan 

https://www.macarthurmemorial.org/27/Museum

post-4102-0-40874700-1547255633_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just to say say I am always astonished at the extent knowledge displaid by our members in the Gunto discussions. I bow down to your knowledge guys, you are real Pros. As I often say, real amateurs are often better than some pros... :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Gentle Folk,

As some of you will have read in other threads I'm having a massive cleanup and toss out.  All sorts of interesting stuff I had forgotten about percolated to the surface from even 40 years ago.  This thread includes reference to the West Point Museum and gives me a chance to mention a letter I got from the Museum 40+ years ago.  The text is self-explanatory.  Does anyone have a copy of the Museum Bulletin mentioned???

BaZZa.

=============================================================

11 October 1977

Dear Mr Thomas

Thank you for your recent letter requesting a copy of the West Point Museum Bulletin on Japanese Samurai swords.  I regret that this publication is now out of print and there are no more available.

MICHAEL E. MOSS

Curator of Art

West Point Museum

=============================================================

• Like 3

I had some pics when I was stationed in Portsmouth in 2012-2014. I'll see of I can't pull them up. The display seems like it never changed!

I do remember a certain collector with high end items (like an unrestored Sherman) woth had what was noted to be one of General Yamashita's swords. Not sure od the providence, but I need to find the old brochure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..