Dual Orikaeshimei

Ray Singer

This is something I have not seen before and thought was worth sharing. This has a dual orikaeshimei, in which both the mei and nengo have been folded over to the opposing side of the nakago (at the time of suriage). Must have been a challenging endeavor and appears very well done. 

http://www.toukenkomachi.com/index_en_tachi&katana_A111118.html

• Like 6

Conjecture: because of the plethora of Seki Kanemoto, including far less skilled later generations, the owner preserved the date to point to a good generation Kanemoto and paid the extra money for the difficult Suriage. Does this make any sense? 

• Like 1

This is Kanetomo (兼知) rather than Kanemoto and there were far fewer smiths who are candidates who might may made this sword if the nengo were absent. There is only one in the Toko Taikan, though the listing mentions that there are three in the Meikan (which I do not have on hand).

https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/KAN2597

Ray thank you so much for sharing this and most of all for the follow up of the paper cut out and further explanation. At first glance at the post I thought “ wow that’s really cool” then after the paper cut out follow up I was blown away. Again thank you. MikeR

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..