Kabuto Mei

YOJIMBO

Yep,

mei looks a bit odd on the picture (my opinion). On the other hand, I couldn’t found a “real mei” of this guy for comparison. It is said, that this smith was from the Aizu-Myochin line and worked for Gamō Ujisato someday in the early Edo Period.....

• Like 1

Simon,

there were almost no known relationships between sword and armor smiths. So one can´t compare names for signatures or draw appropriate conclusions!

A famous exeption is Nagasone Okisato "長曽祢興里" (Okisato Kotetsu "興里虎徹"), who was initially an armor smith who switched his profession to swordsmithing.

• Like 1

Uwe, I suppose it is worth comparing Okisato to Hankei who switched from guns making to swords. Despite the similarities, switching trades seems to have been rare. About 25 years ago I took Yoshindo Yoshihara to York where there was an exhibition of European armour on. After seeing it he expressed the wish that he could make a European style helmet. I said 'why not you are a metalworker with a forge and tools'. His reply was that it would not be possible as he made swords and that was that.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing this little story Ian!

The comparison with Hankei’s career is interesting. Changing seems indeed not common, apart from the fact, that “some” armor smiths also made tsuba. That in turn, would tally with Yoshihara san’s feedback....

BTW, Kotetsu as also Hankei, became great sword smiths. So sometimes, switching is not the worst decision (or “looking over the edge of the plate” ???? ).

Off-topic warning!

Recently I bought a French helmet in London. Probably a 20th century one for a film set, it was traditionally made, heavy, having an opening visor w/locking button, and solidly strapped inside with cloth and leather, closing under the chin with a leather strap. Looked like it might just fit into a suitcase. On a whim I bought it and took it back to Japan. I put it into auction to see what would happen. Little interest was shown and it went to a famous dealer for 5,000 JPY. I think I eventually received 4,600 after auction costs. (Just to help shatter anyone's romantic illusions.)

• Like 1

Uwe,  I also wrote on FB that the Shige- written as above is listed in Koop and Inada 'Japanese names and how to read them' as an acceptable variant for 重.

Ian B

Ian,

it’s not the “Shige” what puzzles me, rather the appearance of the whole mei. Can’t put it in words.....

Unfortunately, I’m using FB very rarely (I don’t like it and I can not handle it well...) Hmm, do I miss something..?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..