Might Be Stolen - Any Info

dnmmilo

G'day,

I recently purchased this Shin Gunto at an auction and have been contacted by the auctioneer who tells me the 2 of the other 8 lots submitted for sale by the same person have turned out to be stolen. Having been the victim of theft myself I don't want to have anything in my collection that might be stolen.  I haven't been able to translate the symbols on the haft so some assistance there would be helpful.

I have spoken to the AFP and the local ACT Police and no weapons matching this description have been reported stolen over the last few years.  If anybody thinks they recognise the sword or have any knowledge of it please contact me. Any advice on what else to do would be appreciated.  I can send more pics if they are required.

Cheers

David

post-2306-0-88966500-1546567610_thumb.jpg

post-2306-0-20344300-1546567630_thumb.jpg

post-2306-0-15172800-1546567646_thumb.jpg

post-2306-0-14870900-1546567673_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hattori Masahiro saku Mei is not soshin.

Its not a gendaito. 

you can compare it with that sword.

http://www.aoijapan.com/img/sword/2014/14722-2.jpg 

The value is limited David. I don't think you must have a lot of fear on this sword.

The problem is i think only a few policeman know something about Japanese Sword or can read any kanji. If you report the name of the smith they would need a picture with a explanation of the nakago and a manual to remove the handle. That is all very complicated. 

I dont know how this will handled in your country. In Europe we had a Database SIS to proof things (mostley there are serial no. reportet). The next step would be Europol and than Interpol. But things of lower value or not part of a bigger crime are not in that database. 

I would ask the auctioneer how he knows that the parts are stolen? Is there a report or something else? Which police had the knowledge about that.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..