#1 bhilton805

bhilton805

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVentura, CA

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:53 PM

Hello All!

I am trying to identify this sword. It has been in my care for the last 15 or so years but

I would prefer it goes to a good home. Someone who will appreciate it.

Grandpa brought back from Korean conflict. Not so much concerned about

what the value may be but it is more important to me that it go to someone who will
appreciate it.

Youtube videos showing condition of sword:

https://youtu.be/tJXB2PVzwDI
https://youtu.be/eBvA4jf7l04
https://youtu.be/WKtIvWeiFRc
https://youtu.be/yS4MD1YHJ_I

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• On_Stand.jpg
  • On_Stand2.jpg
  • Sunlight.jpg
  • Hilt_Closeup.JPG
  • In_Scabbard_Stand.jpg
  • In_Scabbard.jpg
  • With_Tape.jpg
  • With_Tape2.jpg
  • Tang_1.jpg
  • Tang_2.jpg
  • Tang_3.jpg
  • Tang_4.jpg

• Dave R likes this

Tangs for all the help everyone! It is much appreciated.

#2 lambo35

lambo35

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSpearfish, SD.

Posted 05 January 2019 - 02:48 AM

Non-Japanese made blade? Looks very crude, maybe late war production and from a Japanese-occupied area. Fittings look original. JMHO.

Chuck.

Chuck L.

#3 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:50 AM

Really an odd one! Never seen one with a star on the scabbard like that. Agree on the crudely made blade.

I want to say this was made in China for someone serving the Japanese. Looks period legit.

#4 Dave R

Dave R

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

I think it's all genuine, just very abused.

• paul griff likes this

Dave

#5 vajo

vajo

Juyo

• Members
  • 2,510 posts
  • LocationGermany / Bavaria

Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:17 PM

Looks like a late war genuine gunto. Ishizuke is missing. Someone paint a star on the saya. I would go with the korean story, that this sword was used by a chinese officer which come from the Japanese invasion. 

The sword was stored in really high humidity.

• paul griff likes this

#6 Shamsy

Shamsy

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 692 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:17 PM

Other than the stained blade, the sword seems to be in nice, aged condition. With the amount of arms the Chinese captured, I think the explanation of the sword being carried into the Korean conflict makes sense. It also adds a very unique story to the sword, which is nice. Different to the multitude of unknown WW2 swords with no provenance.
  • paul griff and Bruce Pennington like this
Steve
Collecting Type 95 NCO swords

#7 bhilton805

bhilton805

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVentura, CA

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:57 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone. And Dave, I believe the story was that this was found in a cave on the beach during R&R by my grandfather who passed away in 2006 so yes, that would account for the rustiness and humidity as noted by others here.

One more pick here of the Tang Photoshoped to highlight the very faint red paint. Anyone here able to know where the blade was made or came from by that?

Local Military collector in Ventura CA said it was definitely factory made blade but all other components are genuine. Also said star on scabbard was painted but it has been like that the whole time I have known the sword which was 30+ years. Whoever painted it, (Scabbard), did so in the 40's or 50's.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tang.jpg

Tangs for all the help everyone! It is much appreciated.

#8 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:14 AM

Paint on the Nakago is used for inventory and assembly purposes.

John

#9 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:17 AM

Paint on the Nakago is used for inventory and assembly purposes.

John, true general statement, but the kanji bother me. They aren’t actually drawn Japanese numbers. The bottom 2 seem to be trying to be “6 6” but the top one isn’t anything I recognize. Could they be Chinese or Korean?

#10 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:54 AM

Looks like alot of the paint is missing, if you look at the original without the highlight they look more like traditional Kanji with parts missing.

John

#11 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:57 AM

Looks like alot of the paint is missing, if you look at the original without the highlight they look more like traditional Kanji with parts missing.

Good call John! Could be “ 7 6 5”.

#12 BANGBANGSAN

BANGBANGSAN

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area USA

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:41 PM

四六六=466

Thanks for all the help everyone. And Dave, I believe the story was that this was found in a cave on the beach during R&R by my grandfather who passed away in 2006 so yes, that would account for the rustiness and humidity as noted by others here.

One more pick here of the Tang Photoshoped to highlight the very faint red paint. Anyone here able to know where the blade was made or came from by that?

Local Military collector in Ventura CA said it was definitely factory made blade but all other components are genuine. Also said star on scabbard was painted but it has been like that the whole time I have known the sword which was 30+ years. Whoever painted it, (Scabbard), did so in the 40's or 50's.

Trystan

#13 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:42 PM

Whatever the numbers were intended to be, I’m still bothered by the obviously poor writing. The stroke direction on the “legs” of the 6s are wrong. If the top kanji is a 4, the turn of the interior strokes turn the wrong way. The paint is clearly old, not a post-war add-on, but I just cannot believe a Japanese person would have written those kanji.

#14 BANGBANGSAN

BANGBANGSAN

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area USA

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:52 PM

Whatever the numbers were intended to be, I’m still bothered by the obviously poor writing. The stroke direction on the “legs” of the 6s are wrong. If the top kanji is a 4, the turn of the interior strokes turn the wrong way. The paint is clearly old, not a post-war add-on, but I just cannot believe a Japanese person would have written those kanji.

Most of  time the stroke direction on the “legs” of the 6s is towards out,but it can also be straight .Not a big issue.

Trystan

#15 vajo

vajo

Juyo

• Members
  • 2,510 posts
  • LocationGermany / Bavaria

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:56 PM

Buy a Ishizuke and complete the sword.

Oil the fittings with choji, when you take a smooth cotton towel the verdigris will remove. Btw its poison.

Oli the blade and treat it with uchigko. It will look much better.

I was looking around the if the norther korean have a white star as a badge of something. But i didn't find out something. The officers have a white star on there badge.I think it is all authentic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq