Kantei On A Daito

TheGermanBastard

How is the hamon near the machi? I kinda get the feeling this might be in original length or close to it. Measurements would also help with that. I'd guess the 3rd hole is the original, and the sword might be slight machi okuri (or possibly the 1st). Nakago might have been shaved a bit by looking at the hi but then again it's shape seems good to me aside from hi. I am not liking the lower hi & horimono, they throw me off. Seems like the single hi side has also originally had soe-bi that has been pretty much polished away at least few pics I am seeing a partial groove there.

I think it is very difficult sword to judge. I cannot see much what is under hadori in pics but I think it is suguha based hamon. Hada might be itame to my eye. How is the patina on the nakago? It seems quite even aside from flash lighting it up in few pics.

My guess might be Late Kotō, cannot say anything beyond that.

Red flags for weaponized shinshinto. Proceed with extreme caution. 

1. Looks ubu to me, with extra drilled mekugi-ana to make it look suriage

2. Deceptive hadori job

3. Cleanly drilled mekugi-ana, as opposed to chiseled. One of them is even fresh without any patina. 

4. Horimono rubs me the wrong way. Gives it a 'koto vibe' while looking way too fresh and awkward to be koto.  

Now maybe I'm completely wrong and I'm just struggling with the pictures. But from what I can discern, the attributes of a weaponized blade are present. 

Red flags for weaponized shinshinto. Proceed with extreme caution. 

1. Looks ubu to me, with extra drilled mekugi-ana to make it look suriage

2. Deceptive hadori job

3. Cleanly drilled mekugi-ana, as opposed to chiseled. One of them is even fresh without any patina. 

4. Horimono rubs me the wrong way. Gives it a 'koto vibe' while looking way too fresh and awkward to be koto.  

Now maybe I'm completely wrong and I'm just struggling with the pictures. But from what I can discern, the attributes of a weaponized blade are present. 

No, not Shinshinto.

I will have a stab at it (pun intended).  Am I imagining it or is the last 3-4 cm of the tang a much rougher and older looking rust/patina?  If so, it is possible that the sword is osuriage and only that small part of the original tang is present.  if so, it might be an older blade - kamakura or nambokucho.  If it is osuriage, then it could have been closer to 80cm or so originally.  Without any measurements, I am guessing by the nagasa photo that it is currently in the 65-68cm range, meaning that it was never very long if the last hole is the original one.  If the last hole is the original one, and I am right about the length (Luis, we need measurements....), then I am thinking more in the Oei period or later.   As to school, I was leaning toward yamashiro too, but there isn't much hataraki such as nijuba or other characteristic patterns and therefore yamato is also possible.  i can't tell how high the shinogi line is, and that would help to discriminate.  To me, it is an attractive sword.

• Like 2

Assuming it's not a dressed-up blade, I'll stick my neck out and say Chu-Mihara.

Shape: Hard to tell without measurements, but I tentatively agree with Robert's observations

Hada: Mokume mixed with Masame from what I can see, some chickei. It's hard to discern but the grain seems larger and more irregular compared to the archetype. Difficult. 

Hamon: Suguha, there is sunagashi...

Boshi: Ko-maru, but hard to tell where the Kaeri ends... 

Horimono: late addition, throws me off. 

Freshly-drilled mekugi ana: false flag to make us believe its a trickster blade

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There was heavy Hadori so the Hamon was not visible. 

Luis, 

Can you explain what you mean here? A hamon is visible even under very exaggerated hadori if you point the blade towards a light source - something that you know, of course. 

BTW, I cannot see hamon in your pics, which is not to say it is not there. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..