Need Scabbard Cover.

Not sure if I'm doing the right thing posting here, but...

I need a canvas or suede scabbard cover for this sword (see pic of my sword/scabbard and another pic of the same type  with the type of scabbard cover I need).

Can anyone point me to where I might find one?

I suppose some would have a leather reinforce at the throat and bottom end?

Let me know please?

Regards,

post-470-0-75972400-1546328648_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-48041500-1546328707_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in answering you Neil and Chris S.

Blade is by unknown smith named Takashima Kunihide of Kyoto. Very nice sword but nothing known about him except that he lived in Fushimi where the Fushimi Inari Shrine is and he was RJT.

And yes, I always keep an eye on ebay, but thought it just might be worth asking here too.

RJT star stamp mei says : Fushimi ju Takashima Kunihide saku. (date is 8/1944).

Hamon is Notare with ko-midare but rarely is easy to see in pics because it has a WWII period hadori polish....oh for sashi-komi.

.Regards, 

post-470-0-43284700-1547126463_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-03094700-1547126494_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ummmmm, George san, why must you have a leather cover??  I understand these were put on for combat zones and were no doubt (?) therefore meant to be taken off when hostilities ceased.  Is it not so that many shingunto koshirae never had leather covers???

Barry (Head on the Block) Thomas

aka BaZZa.

Ummmmm, George san, why must you have a leather cover??  I understand these were put on for combat zones and were no doubt (?) therefore meant to be taken off when hostilities ceased.  Is it not so that many shingunto koshirae never had leather covers???

Barry (Head on the Block) Thomas

aka BaZZa.

Barry, if you look closely at his first pic, you can see that his saya is bare wood. It was originally covered in either leather or canvas (which is what he’s looking for). The wood isn’t painted so it was meant to be covered.

• Like 2

Hi Baz 'n' Bruce,

Yes, saya would have had a canvas or leather cover, possibly with an attached carry ring. When I got this the saya was "naked" so I just thought if there was a spare cover out there it might be nice to put one back...it's no big deal...just kinda like to keep things "complete" (must be the nerd in me).

BTW the saya is painted in a sort of "thickish" water-proof? stuff...not hard lacquer, but would seal any joins, edges etc. from moisture.

Hope you are both well and have sobered up after all your new year "frolics" haha.

regards,

Barry, if you look closely at his first pic, you can see that his saya is bare wood. It was originally covered in either leather or canvas (which is what he’s looking for). The wood isn’t painted so it was meant to be covered.

Bruce,

Oh Dreary Me - I didn't look at it closely, to my shame.  Of course if its bare wood it needs a cover.  I thought without thinking (one of my frequent mental states!) that it was a metal cover.  Sighhhh.

Barry (Head in the Basket) Thomas.

aka BiZar...

• Like 1

Generally speaking Riinji Seishiki, aka type 3's with RJT blades had lacquered wooden scabbards. Usually lacquer over paper or fabric glued to the wood. I think you are missing a Haikan and an Ishizuki rather than a field cover. Saya that were meant to have covers were usually unfinished in any way, or had a quick and dirty coat of black lacquer usually faded now to brown. http://ohmura-study.net/753.html

Thanks for the picture Daniel. Looks really great.

With canvas cover. (Not my picture)

post-3496-0-90651600-1547849903_thumb.jpg

I think with that ito from George sword it would look better with canvas. Only my personal taste.

I see some black haikan type 3 on Japanese offers in ebay last time. This is not a problem i think

Thanks for your comments guys...very helpful.

Just for info on this type of Rinji Seishiki scabbard, it is definitely made this way. No sign of ever having had a a haikan or an ishidzuki. It is "painted" with some light brown/yellow (I presume) waterproof lacquer. All original.

It may have had a canvas cover like the ones shown in a couple of the pics here, if so thee cover must have had a reinforced leather top section with its own haikan strap and ring and of course, it would have had a reinforced leather section on the bottom.

Of course, it may have been leather cover also, with its own built in leather suspension ring.

I can assure you there is definitely no rub mark to show that it ever had a metal band/ring type haikan on the scabbard.

I will just keep my eye open for a cover...one might turn up.

Thanks to all.

Regards,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..