Another Id Assistance Request

ChadC

Hello,

My first post. Glad to have found this message board.

My name is Chad and I live in California.

This sword has been in the family a long time. It went missing for approximately 25 years and was returned a few years ago.

Any info on it would be greatly appreciated....

I have more photos.

Thank you!

post-4781-0-88669700-1545842550_thumb.jpg

post-4781-0-30371400-1545842575_thumb.jpg

post-4781-0-77931400-1545842604_thumb.jpg

Chad,

welcome to the board!

To say something substancial, we would need a lot of detailed photos with the correct lighting plus fullsize ones of each side without HABAKI. Tang photos always tip-up, in case there was a signature to be read.

What can be said right now: The blade seems to be machine-made and the condition looks quite good and free of rust. 

I appreciate the info.

I'm still reading up on everything I can on terminology, etc, trying to retain most.

We've been wondering what type it was.

Since all the numbers match, I'm guessing that's the serial number? And since I can't speak or read Japanese, is that the signature of the person who made it? Same for on the Saya?

Much appreciated,

Chad

The black handwritten script on the tang is just an assembly number ("1651", by the looks of it). No significance except for the guy or the team or the assembly line from whence this came. 

Similarly, the hand-written notations on the end of the saya look like some kind of part ID. Maybe manufacturer's shorthand indicating the type of saya, or the type of wood. It isn't a name. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..