Help Identifying Date Of Inherited Sword

ArenaMan

I recently inherited a Japanese sword from my grandfather who was given this sword by a Japanese translator he befriended when my grandfather was stationed in Japan following WWII. Our family has always been interested in the age of the sword and learning more about it. I have done a little research and have attached two photos. One side appears to contain what I understand to be the date, as I am able to make some numbers. I have included a photo of the other side, in case the age would make the non-date side of interest. I am primarily interested in the year it was made. I appreciate any help anyone is willing to provide.

post-4786-0-65792800-1545528462_thumb.jpg

post-4786-0-49132100-1545528485_thumb.jpg

Apologies for omitting my name. Thank you for the reminder and updating my post.

Peter and Mauro - Thank you both very much for the information! Your expertise is very helpful and greatly appreciated.

I'm happy to share a few more photographs

John

post-4786-0-01455000-1545592161_thumb.jpg

post-4786-0-94874500-1545592167_thumb.jpg

post-4786-0-90116600-1545592175_thumb.jpg

Hi John, very nice example of a war time officers sword and piece of family history you have there. Keep the blade clean with tissues and a light coating of gun oil and it will survive in great condition for many generations. I'd also advise writing out the history of the blade and keeping that with the sword.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..