Possible Ww2 Sword

Arno67

Probably know a lot more than you give yourself credit for Hamfish. I agree, looks to my eyes much older than Shinshinto, perhaps late Muromachi period?

Odd kanji character for Kuni, also, Mei doesn't seem to match the Nakago age patina appearance...

The mei reads Uda xx mune

maybe Kuni. 

The smith was active around late muromachi, but i dont think that the mei is genuine. The Uda school swords looks more different from this. 

About the nakago, the patination is not deep as i would expect it for a muromachi or early shinto blade. So i think the blade is more later. 

The sword looks nice. If you check the signature maybe it is another smith? The blade is well made. In a new polish it would be look very good.

• Like 1

Arno your sword is a older blade in a WW2 Koshirae. It was very common to bring a old "family" blade into the war. You will find much informations about this here in the military thread. Care for the sword, it is a good one. But dont care about the signature. It is a nice feature for the sword but it is false (gimei). 

• 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..