Head Scratcher... Any Guesses As To What This Says?

rkg

Hey guys,

I actually had a moment today to take a more careful look at one of the tsuba I recently received.  Can anybody make out what this says?  I tried enhancing the features, but it didn't help me :-/

post-204-0-75323200-1545338503_thumb.jpg

And here's the rest of the story - I bid on this piece on a lark and got it when I was snowed under and only just now had more than a minute or two to look at it.  I shot a 360 image set of it a few days ago in my flurry of them.  here's a pic of the front and back (that I dug out of the 360 image sets - I apologize for the quality - you have to stop waaaay down (well into the diffraction range) when shooting the sets, and..) and the VR image sets themselves

post-204-0-15233300-1545338712_thumb.jpgpost-204-0-88646900-1545338810_thumb.jpg

and the image sets:

http://www.rkgphotos.com/facebook_stuff/new_mystery_tsuba/mystery_tsuba_front/mystery_tsuba_front.html

http://www.rkgphotos.com/facebook_stuff/new_mystery_tsuba/mystery_tsuba_back/mystery_tsuba_back/mystery_tsuba_back.html

The piece measures 73.4mm(H) X 71.1mm(W) X 3.7mm (T, seppa area), ~3.7-3.8mm (t, mimi)  The piece looks like they narrowed it from the seppa area to the mimi, upset the mimi back to the original thickness on the mimi - the measurement is approximate as the piece is also slightly wavy on the left and right sides (see VR images),  The piece is lacquered (I can't tell if the hitsu plugs were gold washed to start or if they did that thing where they lacquered the high points with gold, put on black lacquer and wiped off some, etc).  The lacquer is kind in bad shape on the back on one side (as an aside, I wonder if this piece is something they dug out of a tsunami damaged house or something since the corrosion seems inconsistent with the lacquer condition.  But I digress.. the hole at the bottom is lined with silver.

I'm guessing its myochin work, but what do I know.

Thanks,

rkg

(RIchard George)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..