Chinese I Bet

AntonvonD

I chuckled at Guidos comment about drill bits but with more serious tone I can say it might be a decent Chinese made sword. I haven't followed the Chinese made replica market too closely in many years now, but I do remember back in mid 2000's there used to be company called Zhisword. They produced decent quality replicas and I remember they had customization options (as I planned to buy one). By looking at the tsuka (handle) it seems to me that this sword is better than your average replica. Of course I cannot see any details in the blade, might be just the picture or it might be through hardened.

It is Chinese made sword but depending on the price you might get a decent sword for martial arts practice.

• Like 1

Yes, Anton,

worth $ 50.-- or less, depending on what you wanted to buy.

There are very good replica of everything on the market, and also of Japanese swords and TSUBA. They are skilfully made and carefully finished by master craftsmen, are very close to the originals, and they are expensive. There is a very small market for these. On the other side, there is a big market for look-alikes, and these are sold to people who generally buy only cheap stuff or have no idea about Japanese swords except what they saw in Chinese martial arts films.

In case you are really interested in Japanese swords including their cultural background and the high level of arts and crafts involved, I suggest you spend some time reading here at NMB, looking at pictures of quality items and buy some basic books. This self-education will already help you a lot and save you from buying swords like this one.  

• Like 1

The salesman ask $350 US, I ask for more info and here is it:

Nagasa: 27.5 inches (munemachi to the tip), steel T10
Tsuka: 10 inches
Ito: Japanese cotton, lacquered.
Sageo: natural hemp.
Same: black, covers all the tsuka
Fuchi: original old copper piece from the Edo period.
Kashira: buffalo horn.
Tsuba: iron.
Menuki: copper, fans and sakura
Hamon: aesthetic, Suguha style (straight)
Saya: hand painted in dark red matte finish, koiguchi, kurikata and kojiri of buffalo horn.

If you search for a good iado katana, this looks nice. Its not expensive in my opinion. 

Did you have pictures from the completed sword?

That chinese craftsman works so many hours on that sword. Its allways a mystery for me how much it costs to make such a sword in china. The tsuka alone needs a lot of time. Btw i never saw a chinese made tsuka like this.

The T10 steel swords are allways better made. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..