Masame Hada Katana For 2019

Vermithrax16

Time has run out in 2018 for another sword buy. I was able to finally acquire a work that I have long wanted this year in early summer, but just missed out on adding a partner blade by year end.

As such, I am posting here in the WTB section a general ad for 2019.

I am looking for a katana done in masame hada. I know, they are somewhat rare birds. I have a few options as of now to think about into the new year, but more options is always better. I will consider a tanto, but not wakizashi.

In order of preference, here are some names I would want:

1. Suifu Ju Katsumura Norikatsu 

2. Any Hosho

3. Sendai Kunikane 1st-3rd gens; other gens will be considered

4. Gassan Sadakatsu/Sadakazu

5. Random other smiths that made masame as a one off etc

Papers are required and NBTHK strongly preferred.

Price range is open, as anytime I set a price range any option I see is right at the top end, funny enough. I study and catalog masame works, so price should reflect true value if you have one to sell. 

PM me here with any leads or post online examples should you see any, would be much appreciated. This is not a pressing request, it's Christmas time and more of a heads up for 2019.

Thanks in advance.

I opened a followed up conversation with Jeremiah to discuss this topic - and I was tempted to keep it there. But, what the heck, let's see if anybody else wants to discuss this topic.

1. Lets start by discussing blades with masame hada but questionable signatures. I don't know enough about Norikatsu to comment about him, BUT SIGNED  masame blades with either Hosho or Kunikane signatures are - well - always suspicious. How is a guy going to treat them? Does a questionable signature outweigh nice masame?

2. And what's wrong with Kunikanes other than 1-3? Who the heck WERE those guys What's wrong with their stuff?

3. Finally, what about mumei masame blades? They seem to come in two flavors: a) recently de-signed blades and b) old blades that seem to have never been signed. How should be treat those swords? Do we respect swords that once had a signature that has been removed?

Peter

Archived