Yari Mei

I’ve always wanted one of these yari, so I grabbed this one. It was sold as “Shimosaka Sadashige†and I wanted to ask for your help in determining if that is accurate, and ask if anyone knows anything more about the smith. From the kanji pages it seems like the characters are these, is that right?

下總 Shimosa

貞 Sada

é‡ Shige, Nobu

post-518-14196748345523_thumb.jpg

post-518-14196748347076_thumb.jpg

Guest reinhard

Hello Morita-san,

I was stunned, how easily you could determine kuni and nengo so precicely. According to my books, there were two important SADASHIGE during early Edo-period. One came from Echizen Shimosaka-school and received the title "Izumo-no-Kami". He is said to have worked in Oshu, Omi and Totomi provinces as well; he was active around Genwa-era (1615-1623). His mei look somewhat different from this one.

The other SADASHIGE worked in Owari and received the title "Tsushima-no-Kami". He worked around Manji and Kambun era (1658-1672). The mei I found also look different from this yari's.

Which one of the two SADASHIGE do you have in mind? Or is there a third one?

reinhard

Guest reinhard
Concerning the kuni, can't be Shimozuke?

I'm sure Morita-san's translation is correct. it is "Shimosaka" and referring to the school based in Echizen province. I was wondering how he could determine the Kuni OMI (wich is not mentioned on the mei) and the period of making.

reinhard

Hi :D

According to [Nihon-to-Meikan] and [Toko-Taikan], Echizen Shimosaka Sadashige lives Ohmi and Aizu late in his life.

So , Echizen Shimosaka Sadashige is same smith Shinosaka Sadasshige in Ohmi.

It is necessary to polish the spear partially.

sorry poor my English

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the help so far! Sadashige-san does not have a very big web presence, so I have not been able to find much info.

A light polish and it looks like this, I think I can reveal the jihada with a little more work, but you can kinda tell what’s going on by the distribution of the ji-nie:

post-518-14196749116757_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..