Decent Modern Shitodome

ggil

Mr. Hallam San turned me on to this place (Namikawa Heibei) for sourcing urushi (I think), but I purchased shitodome and was so happy with the product that I wanted to share with you all. I purchased both quality offerings they had (reg and top quality), for both kashira and kurigata. While I was asked not to discuss the price (Japanese can be so considerate of others, possibly resellers, is all), I was told that they would be happy for me to discuss the quality. The fisrt thing was that the ?barrel? sizes are all almost perfectly matched, and there were no rough spots on the inner surface to wear the silk. The top quality ones are silver base. the kashira Shitodome all fit almost perfectly in the old kashira I am working with. The top quality kurigata ones are built to have a slight taper, as to fit nicely flat to the kurigata. The ordering is via email or fax, and they accept PayPal. They had the parts to me within a week of ordering, also ridiculously fast. I ordered (2) 100gr tubes urushi, a susudake piece that was much larger than I expected (for the price - I’m tiptoeing here), a top quality seppa (not thrilled but nice enough, should make my own with these), and the Shitodome; shipping was 2000 yen. They mostly are sellers of sword polishing equipment (don’t worry, no plans going there), and have been in operation for over 150 years. They will send pictures via email and did for me without me asking.

post-2667-0-46303000-1544798023_thumb.jpeg

post-2667-0-56029600-1544797961_thumb.jpeg

post-2667-0-56368700-1544797975_thumb.jpeg

post-2667-0-79017600-1544798043_thumb.jpeg

post-2667-0-69414600-1544798055_thumb.jpeg

post-2667-0-40097100-1544798071_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

I know NAMIKAWA HEIBEI for almost 40 years now, and when I made my first purchase in the late seventies, they sent me the goods with the invoice in the parcel! I paid after the receipt! That has obvoiusly changed for good reasons, but they remain a reliable and competent supplier. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would love a chisel like that. maybe they would help you find a suitable replacement even if it means a ‘one-off’ sale for them??? if they do please let me know the price as I just upgraded from a harbor freight chisel set, but still have no curved chisel like that! No knuckle dragging!

Didnt mean to derail the thread, those are very nice shitodome. Another source I have used is sanmei.com.  They have silver gold plated ones and a silver one as well.  Both companies are very nice to order from.  Grant, I think I may order that chisel from Japanese woodworker.  They aren't cheap though...

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..