spoiler

Guest reinhard

Guest reinhard

The spoiler-tool might be useful for kantei-topics in particular, but it is time consuming for others (like me), who prefer to surf with Java-script disabled. Not using it for every simple translation question would be greatly appreciated (from my side). Thanx.

reinhard

The spoiler-tool might be useful for kantei-topics in particular, but it is time consuming for others (like me), who prefer to surf with Java-script disabled. Not using it for every simple translation question would be greatly appreciated (from my side). Thanx.

reinhard

Thanks for the information. I wouldn't know how to disable Java script, although I do remember having problems with Java many years ago when I used mainly Macs... do you have a Mac?

I was under the impression that without java on, the "spoilers" show without being hidden.

What do you see without java?

There are not that many that surf without javascript. I know Rich S is one.

Brian

What do you see without java?

There are not that many that surf without javascript. I know Rich S is one.

Brian

You bet I do. But you need to distinguish between Java and Javascript.

Two different animals. I surf without both (Javascript off unless absolutely

necessary and don't even have Java installed). Also I surf without

graphics; only showing those I wanted/need to see. It's MUCH faster

this way; especially for those of us in the backwoods that don't have

broad band connections. On a good day I get a rate of 28.8 Kbs. IMHO

there is just too much crapola on the web now; ads, megabyte pics of

peoples rugs (supposed to be showing a sword or tsuba). I started out

before there was a WWW when we only had telnet (anyone remember

that?); ftp and email. It was "cool" (now I'm really dating myself) when

Mosaic first appeared and we had to telnet to CERN to logon to the

first web connection - all early websites had to connect thru CERN.

The internet was designed for scientists and the military; now every

three year old with a box has a website or page on one of the face

thing sites; spam is over run the email system and the great majority

of the web is IMHO just garbage. I'm a info seeker and former teacher

and very text oriented. I want information, not megapics of some kids

drooling. It works just fine for me this way.

BTW, not using either Java or Javascript does not show the spoilers.

Rich S (aka, old 'net scrooge)

:rotfl:

And here I was thinging that Al Gore invented the internet :rotfl:

Kidding. Trust me, I know about speeds and downloading. I run this site on dial-up because broadband is too expensive in SA, and they want to cap us at 3 gigs per month or make us pay a fortune for more.

Nowdays, half the forums don't even bother saying anything, just point you to a youtube video or facebook entry.

You are right, 90% of it is all junk, and large sized junk at that. I still do my nut when I see 800k pics that could be 200k easily. Especially when it takes me an hour to download an email with 4 huge pics. :?

I'll make enquiries into a custom script that will show the spoilers if javascript is disabled.

Regards,

Brian

Brian -

Don't do any special scripts for me. I'm happy just as things are.

BTW, anyone who does routinely run Javascript should get a small

freeware program called "Script Defender" - it prevents any website

or email from running scripts without your knowledge. Javascript is

one of the main tools hackers and other nasties use to invade and

control your computer via malicious websites and email.

Rich S

Milt,

It's built into your browser, and chances are it's on. It is used to show flashy things on websites, such as the links page here and many transitions. Everyone has it by default (on fairly modern pc's and browsers anyways) and you need it if you browse a lot through websites and things like eBay as more and more sites use effects that require javascript. I wouldn't worry about it too much...just make sure you all have adaware (http://www.lavasoft.de) and run it regularly to get rid of spyware and malware. (free version is good)

Brian

Guest reinhard
I was under the impression that without java on, the "spoilers" show without being hidden.

Brian,

With Java on but Javascript disabled I see an empty square, but the "show"-button remains disabled.

I didn't mean to change anything from your side, BTW. If I definitely want to see a hidden translation, I can change the browser settings and come back next time. I just think the "spoiler"-tool is used on too many occasions by now and it doesn't always makes sense, especially when two or three posts use it in a row.

reinhard

Point taken. We should reserve it for kantei and transalations where the poster or others might want to take a shot at it. For other uses we don't have to use it.

Helps sometimes if people want to take a shot at attempting a translation, but use it sparingly :)

Will still see if there is a non-java option though. No guarantees, but I have posted the request.

Brian

Not stopping it (i am sure Reinhard and Rich will agree)

It is still useful. Just asking for us to watch when we use it, and keep it for times when others might not want to see the answer just yet.

No worries...there are serious things in life..and spoiler use doesn't feature in the top 10 :D

Brian

I might hopefully have a solution for those few browsing with javascript off. If it is off, hopefully the text will still show.

Can those who have javascript turned off check the following spoiler and let me know if the text was still visible?

Test. Is this visible with Javascript off?

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..