Can Anyone Help Me Identify This Maybe Let Me Know What It Is

Sjcso214

Please sign with your first name per forum rules. As for the sword it appears to be an older sword in Shirasaya adapted for army use in the last stages of WWII. I can't recall seeing one like this before but there are quite a few examples of other civilian mounted swords adapted for army use.

• Like 1

Hi,

Here is a care and etiquette paper that will show you how to handle the sword.  It shows also how to safely remove and replace the handle; if you can post a closeup picture of the blade's tang (the part inside the handle) we can probably tell you more.

http://www.nbthk-ab.org/Etiquette.htm

Grey

I don't think shirasaya come with tsuba, ashi, and semegane. This looks like one of those made to be totally wrapped in leather, and the leather is gone.

Sjc - if you tap that peg out of the handle, it will come off and we can see the tang (nakago). It often tells a great deal about the blade.

• Like 1

The giveaway that it's an adapted shirasaya is that it has flattened sides, rather than smoothly rounded. Best guess, is an older blade in shirasaya, given a fast makeover to make it usable in the field Probably done quite late in the war, when things had got very tight.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..