Knife For Sale $250

dankgus

I hope this isn't a laughable proposition. Back in 2009 I posted a thread here about an interesting knife I have in my possession. It's not something I ever really had true interest in. I'm really hoping somebody here would like it and will appreciate it.

See original thread here: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/3718-can-you-tell-me-what-you-think-of-this-knife-special/?fromsearch=1

I reassembled the knife years ago, but the wooden peg was lost. One of the responses back in 09 said knives like this might sell for $250 - $400. If anybody is interested, I'd sell at $250. Feel free to make an offer, I will not be insulted. Condition is basically the same, let me know if you're interested and I'll send pictures taken today.

Hi Stephen, the habaki was rusted on, so loosened it with a soaking of penetrating oil (I regularly use this on my nuts) . With a bit of jiggling the habaki came loose. The red rust was removed using a piece of bone to scrape it off. 

On your advice, the blade was uchiko'ed and more active rust was removed. 

A hamon became more visible. As you can see from the photos, it is not a cut down blade, but was purpose made. 

So where to now, it is now in a state of preservation, with all active rust gone. 

If it is worth it, I would be prepared to have polisher finish it off.  

post-3858-0-87368600-1545023289_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-05136300-1545023307_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-92952600-1545023364_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..