Www.studyingjapaneseswords.com

I would like to publish a book someday.  But it requires so much corrections.  I thought I proofread many times but I still find many misspelling and wrong wordings.

After I finish this blog, I want to go back to change many areas, add pictures, redo my drawings.

What I am afraid the most is somebody may claim I copied someone's photo, copied sentences or just translated somebody's writings without permission.

Writing a blog may be less worry because I don't make any money.  But once I start selling a book, more chance somebody may claim I am violating

a law.    That really scares me.  

Thank you very much for all the encouragement. 

I really enjoy writing about history.  There are so many interest history facts I wanted to write but it became too long so I discarded a lot.

By the way, I am a big opera fan, I play piano and violin.  The opera "Madame butterfly" is staged around Meiji revolution.  The story is fiction of course,

but the real person existed.  While he was in Japan he stayed several places.  One of them was a temple in Tokyo.  This temple run the kinder Garten,

that is the kinder Garten I attended.

Thank you very much for reading my blog.  Please let your friend know  my blog.

Yurie 

• Like 4

As long as you provide a notation of the source your book can contain quotes from other sources. The problem arises when you take someone else's work and claim that it your own. If you use someone else's photos you need specific permission to do that and once again you need to reference the source. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A new chapter "67 |Part 2 of - - - 31|Shin-Shin-To (Bakumatsu Period Sword) 1781-1867" was posted this morning.

Please go to my website "www.studyngjapaneseswords.com".

To: Mr. Barry Hennick

Thank you very for answering about the materials for the website.  As you can see at the bottom of the photos and drawings, 

on my website,  majority of the photos are from the Sano Museum Catalogue.  I went to see the head of Sano Museum to get the

permission.  She was my father's friend.  I drew simple illustrations myself.  Scenery photos are public domain photo 

from Wikipedia.  Wikipedia states that anybody can use the photos as long as it said public domain without permission,

but needs to state the source that is Wikipedia.

Others are photos taken by my father.  Here is something I don't know how to handle.  On chapter 67 (newest chapter) and 

one more chapter somewhere, I used photos from the book, "Token no Mikata (The way to look at sword)" by Mr. Koichi Hiroi. 

I made sure I wrote the name of the book and the author.

I have known him since my intern days.  But last time I heard he was in nursing home and incapable of communications. 

Also, Japanese copyright law will be lift up after 50 years.  This book was published 1971, it is 48 years ago.  Two more years.  

For the history part, source are from my high school text book and a few google search for numbers and dates.  

I may have missed a few areas, but I was careful not to be claimed by anybody.  But still have uneasy feelings.  

Honestly, my website is based on the text book my sword teacher used.  The name of the books are on the reference page. 

My blog don't have anything in depth, just covered the overall basics of the sword history.

Just a common knowledge. 

So I don't think I am violating any rule, but If you notice something I am missing, please let me know.

Chapter 67 is the last chapter.  I will go back to the beginning and redo and add many areas and make sure all the sources are noted.

Please let me know if I am missing something.  I wish to hear everybody's knowledge and opinions. 

Thank you

Yurie 

• Like 1

My blog about the history of Japanese swords finished the last chapter of 67 shin-shin-To last week.

From here, I go back to the earlier chapters and change, eliminate, correct mistakes and re-post.

After I come back from a trip to Brussels and Maastricht  (husband conference 10/9-10/18), I plan to

take a photo of my sword that was made by Mr. Yoshihara Yoshindo.

Though several people suggested me how to take photos of a sword , more suggestions

are wonderful.  Please let me know.

Please keep checking on my website for a future posts.

Thank you

Yurie 

Hi Yurie

May I make a suggestion / recommendation please?

Would it be possible to unite the various chapters that deal with the same topic (school or same period) - eg Kamakura Bizen in one place and Yamashiro in one place etc? At the moment it is a bit confusing as you wrote the first chapters and then revisited the same topics later (in part 2) to delve deeper in the same subjects.

Streamlining and simplifying the index and content will make appreciating it easier.

Thank you.

Hi Michael S,

Yes, combining part 1 and 2 is the one  of the things I was thinking of it.

When I started very beginning, I thought I will take forever to finish the first part.  Had no intention to write Part 2.

Bur surprisingly I finished and felt like I could do more, that is how part 2 started.

In the half way of part 2, I tried to combine part 1 and part 2, but could not do that.

Majority of part 2 is assuming readers already know the part 1 basic and a certain terminology.

If I combine, all of the general knowledge and the terminology have to be concentrated in the earlier chapters. 

Here and there, I see problems of my web.

A big job is ahead of me.

Thank you

Yurie 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I know photos are not good.

I tried for a long time, but this is as much as I can do.

Taking photos of swords are very difficult

I sometimes see amazing photo of swords that shows even hada pattern.

It seems to me impossible.

Taking photo is not my thing.

Yurie 

• Like 2

Hi EdWolf  (Ed 狼)

You are in Netherland, where in Netherland.

I was in Maastricht Netherland in mid OCT for EPM (European Powder Metal Conferenc),

for my husband business.

I visited a Japanese Antique Store at Maastricht, please visit my facebook, I wrote about it.

www.facebook.com/JapaneseSwordStudy/

Yurie 

• Like 1

Hi Yurie,

Thanks for your message. I live near Den Haag. In the western part of the Netherland. My oldest daughter is studying in Maastricht. It's a beautiful city. Hope you enjoyed it.

I will try to visit the antique Store next time i visit my daughter.

All the best.

Ed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..