500 Million Goal

BIG

Yes they do not place the original sword with the cutting edge down on a plastic rack. May be the "original" is still resting in the private owners house. But isn't it right to give it back to the common.

Best

I was wondering when someone would notice it was not *the* actual Sanchomo.  It is a Sanchomo utsushimono by Ono Yoshimitsu, who is widely known for his superb re-creations of it.  Getting the real Sanchomo for such a promotion would be nigh on impossible, so this is the best stand in one could reasonably expect to obtain to fortify the fund-raising effort.  

• Like 3

Also, I believe there are some significant and appropriately stringent mandates on how Kokuho works of any kind are transported, displayed, and handled. So it would be naive to expect that the original Sanchomo could be casually displayed open-air for a promo such as this.

• Like 1

thanks for the clarification. 

You would think if they want people to donate 500 million yen, that they would show the actual sword that they are buying instead of a modern copy. 

Does anyone seriously want a modern copy of a sword for $175K-240K US? You could buy some great Juyo for that kind of money vs a modern copy of a great sword.

Chris

Chris

I think you are misunderstanding the thinking behind this. The cocept is that you are donating to enable the museum to buy the sword. As a thank you if you donate a large sum you would be given the copy as a thank you present.

If your interest is only buying a sword then of course you are absolutely right and you would do far better buying an authentic high level work. But You are not buying the sword you are donating to the cause cause.

Not saying whether it is right or wrong and as I wouldn't ever have that amount of monbey to donate to any good cause it becomes purely academic.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..