Mukade Tsuba Question

ZachH

Hi,

I have been thinking about collecting tsuba since I was kid when I first saw the plates in Stone’s "Glossary of Arms and Armor" (1980’s). However, I have other collecting interests and have focused on them instead.

Recently I travelled to Japan and found this tsuba in an antique market and decided to make my first purchase. For me when exploring a new hobby reading and studying is a must but I have to have something tangible as a reference to explore as I continue to research.

Getting home and re-reading up on tsuba I started to look into this particular piece. My gut told me that the design was probably a stylized centipede and that led me to discover I had a “Mukade-zōgan.”  Interesting I thought, then I read that these are:

-One of the most heavily “copied” tsuba.

-Controversially associated with Takeda Shingen and called such in some circles (At present, to me anyway, that connection seems tenuous as clear attribution seems to be lacking).

-Someone stated that the staple work doesn’t take much skill and that tsuba artisans’ wives could have made these.

-Several collectors/connoisseurs appear to reject the collecting of this type of tsuba as not having any artistic merit.

What I would like to know is what time period would this tsuba be from? Is it genuine? Is it a copy?

Anything else that you could share would be much appreciated.

(Dimensions are rough estimates)

Height: 77.5 mm

Thickness: 3.5-4 mm? (seppa-dai and rim seem the same thickness)

Weight: 121 grams

Design: Iron and Brass staples – Mukade

Thanks,

Zach

post-4758-0-40003800-1543692051_thumb.jpgpost-4758-0-22985300-1543692062_thumb.jpgpost-4758-0-75522000-1543692071_thumb.jpg

Dear Zach.

You may already have found this link,http://varshavskycollection.com/shingen-tsuba/ but if not it gives quite a lot of useful background.  You are correct in assuming that most collectors do not value these very highly but they seem to feature in almost every major collection, perhaps only as representative of one type of tsuba.  Aesthetically they do not dazzle, with some notable exceptions, and I think the fact that the technique seems easily accessible to most people makes them seem less admirable than some of the work produced by tsuba artists which sometimes seems extraordinary.

All is not lost, this has provided you with the in hand example you need to pursue your studies and there are so many more resources available now then when we poured over Stone's to get our information. 

Enjoy it and keep it as the foundation of your collection.

All the best.

Zach,

I think you have a nice tsuba and that you acquired in a positive way. Congratulation! I think Shingen tsuba fall into a category of "samurai" weaponry. Maybe they should be viewed as "militaria" rather than "art". In any case, I think they truly reflect the samurai culture and activities. From my experience they are not common, but I remember when they use to show up with missing elements and pieces. I wonder if some of the ones we see nowadays may not have been repaired and restored. There is NOTHING wrong with that. It may simply be a part of sword history. Look closely and see if you can see evidence of repair.

Peter

Hi Zach

I have one in my collection just as an example but I have seen some very nice intricate examples but too much for me

Yours is a very nice example as often some of the wires are missing and the two colours have retain their colour

A good pick for first tsuba

Grev

Hi guys so I bought a wakizashi years back.it came with ww2 handle and Tsuba which I sold .The blade I researched and I emailed a well know expert / Arthur with photos of blade he concurred that the blade was from Edo Period and he told me soldiers would smuggle the real samurai sword blades to USA that way.I have bought pieces sold to me as Edo Period to piece this sword back together .I will be mailiuout the tsuka soon for re wrap.now the Tsuba was brown and very rusty .I probably messed it up if it is real Edo or not?I thought it was made off Iron so I tried the self cleaning oven .I did viniger soak and dishwashing soap with sod pad .I probably did everything you are not supposed to do.I just thought since trying restore and the Tsuba was ugly a good idea.Now my confusion is I’m doubting if Edo Period anyway the Tsuba seems be some other metal material?Can I get a opinion besides I’m a moron thanks guys.

post-4759-0-87581500-1543704939_thumb.jpeg

post-4759-0-32426200-1543704957_thumb.jpeg

post-4759-0-46301700-1543704999_thumb.jpeg

post-4759-0-92262400-1543705025_thumb.jpeg

post-4759-0-69468100-1543705057_thumb.jpeg

post-4759-0-76435000-1543705078_thumb.jpeg

post-4759-0-36282800-1543705124_thumb.jpeg

post-4759-0-48488500-1543705159_thumb.jpeg

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the confirmation, kind words, and encouragement.  I thought to myself if they could fake the corrosion/patina around the seppa dai on this tsuba, there was no way I could ever tell a copy from an original.

"I think Shingen tsuba fall into a category of "samurai" weaponry. Maybe they should be viewed as "militaria" rather than "art"."

Peter, your statement makes perfect sense on how these are perceived.

Geraint, thanks for the link.

One final question. Are these considered late Edo?

Thanks again for all of the assistance.

Zach

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..