Fukure

I have a Meiji period Tachi by a well known smith which is in Japanese polish with a small Fukure in the monouchi area, it is showing an hairline opening but you have to look to see it.

My question is..... does this Fukure make the blade less interesting to a collector or is it a minor flaw that can be overlooked. Would you collectors consider buying a blade with Fukure?

Hope you can see it in the picture..

Ian

post-1020-0-38371400-1543667246_thumb.jpeg

Fukure will impact value and is more affecting of value in later blades. A licensed polisher may be able to reduce the visibility of this, however there's also the question of whether the sword is worth the additional restoration expense. If it were mine and made by an exceptional shinshinto smith, I would have it at least evaluated by a good licensed togishi.

Blister are often seen on late muromachi blades. I have a wakimono katana from muromachi which has some blister and ware. But i enjoy it often as it is. A true warrior sword not a artist piece.

When they gets open from polish it looks not really better. My sword was polished in Japan and he tried not to open it.

I know that a collector looks for perfection whereas a student of nihonto only looks at the aesthetics (workmanship) for that smith/school/period etc and so a minor flaw would not be an issue.

This blade is beautiful and in great polish and is a good representative piece for this smith, I am trying to see how the general membership feels about Fukure.

• Like 1

Hi Franco

I know what you mean, personally I don’t mind minor flaws but I get criticised for trying to save blades with flaws.

Regards Ian

I found this to be an interesting comment on a Japanese sword site regarding exceptional swords. I suspect it could  also apply to well made swords of later eras with minor flaws.

"It is not so easy to find such an excellent blade even in Japan. Sometimes we can find unsigned blades with paper attributed to Soshu tradition, but many of them include some doubt in its character. On this blade, the character means Soshu tradition in 14th century undoubtedly, especially Mino tradition.

This blade should be held by advanced collector who try to understand old good blades. It is not suitable for beginners who hate any flaws and want perfection.

A masterpiece never mean perfect blade. A masterpiece can have flaws and has far bigger excellence."

As mentioned personal preference,

Dave M.

• Like 1

A highly regarded smith should have no flaws in his swords. But nobody is perfect. If only perfect blades would be collect no one would be estimate the existence of flaws in such blades. A flaw shows that humans makes failures and not every sword will be perfect. Little failures makes the smith sympathic. And for the interested collector the price is sympathic too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..