tsuka maki

Hi Barry,

That is Jabaramaki which basically defines that strings are used but there are different types of wrap styles with these strings (called Jabaraito) also. This one is more specifically Kumiagemaki or "braided" wrap with strings.

Hope this helps!

Ted

Hi Barry,

I love that style of tsukamaki. Usually seen on tanto small waki from the few that I have seen.

I am not sure who to ask about doing it. Thomas Buck is the obvious choice in the West, but he has just posted that he isn't taking on new tsukamaki work until September, and laquer work until Feb or March.

What about David McDonald? http://www.montanairon.com/restorations.html

Otherwise you might have to send it to Japan. (Edit, just saw Guido's post, and that might be your best bet, but they might need the blade depending on the person who does the work?)

Regards,

Brian

Hi Barry,

Difficult to see in the pic, but I think this is indeed wrapped from individual strands of jabara ito that are sewn together. Not as decorative in the wrap as your example, but I do think it is indeed jabara ito there. :)

Brian

Hi Barry

Sorry for the poor pics , the katana tsuka is in the jabara ito style.

not as complicated as the style you are looking for but none the less it

must be a very difficult job ! to wrap a tsuka in these ito's ?

some better pics i hope

regards

ray

post-272-14196748422176_thumb.jpg

post-272-14196748423662_thumb.jpg

post-272-14196748425298_thumb.jpg

I can recommend Mick Hicks, in England. He has trained extensively in Japan and has been wrapping for at least 20 years now. He's done 2 of these jabaraito maki ( on aikuchi ) for clients of mine as part of restoration projects. Both were absolutely top quality jobs.

If anyone wants to contact him please pm me for his details.

regards, Ford

• 7 months later...

Jabara is also used on armour, generally to add to the rich appearance of the tailored portions, but on more more recent productions, to cover the join between different types of printed leathers in place of the traditional fusegumi. I always assumed jabara was produced as an entity but when I ordered some recently to wrap a hilt, it arrived as two separate hanks of thread, one S twist and one Z twist. You have to sew the two together, matching the twists to produce the correct chevron effect, before you can even think of wrapping the hilt. Since it was a fairly long hilt, you can imagine how long that took.

Ian Bottomley

well, dont looks so hard to make

Believe it or not: It is VERY difficult to make. Even the most simple wrappings, made by amateurs, always turn out horrible. BTW, this is not only about "evenly pulling strings". It starts with choosing suitable same and arranging it properly in proportion to handle-size, diamond-shapes and menuki. A lot of preparatory work is necessary.

reinhard

• 8 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..