Nlf Gunto - Private Purchase Example

zuiho

A search on the  NMB  forum  for Naval Landing Forces  gunto   found  several threads.

The consensus seems to be that  there was no official  gunto design  specifically for

these  forces.  I cannot  help resolve this issue. However, I do believe I have a sword

once carried by an officer of the NLF.  Photos :

post-268-0-62814100-1543114092_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-64607300-1543114129_thumb.jpg

This example consists of a private purchase outfit for an officer who probably had minimal

money to spend. The tsuka is a Showa era civilian style with plain brass fuchi-kashira  and  

machine - stamped brass shi-shi menuki  .  The  badly wrapped tsuka-ito  is over   same'.

The tsuba is an old round plain iron plate with a mon  inlaid on one side. Aluminum and brass seppa  keep it in place.

The  23 inch blade is, perhaps,  sue- koto . It is narrow, tired and has numerous flaws but was once a good blade with much activity.

The dealer from whom I bought it said it was obtained by a US army vet in Japan during the occupation.

The important aspect of this sword is the saya.  It is a field saya of  plain wood  with a black leather cover using a snap retainer for the sword

and TWO leather and brass ashi. There is clear wear at the top of both rings to show it was carried. Such a saya was suited for combat areas on land.  

The  color black was, with some exceptions, exclusively used by the navy. The use of double ashi  was  the  characteristic  naval style.

So, it was for a naval officer on land or in other words, the Naval landing forces.

Comments are welcome.

William G.

I think we will never be able to pin down an exact type for the landing forces per se. Photographs show such a wide variety in use, that I suspect that the officers carried what they thought fit. Another matter perhaps when it came to parades and formal occasions. Looking at photo's of the SNLF uniform and equipment is very varied... Of interest, in the last photo, the haiken looks to be on the ha side of the saya, rather than the mune!

post-2218-0-13007400-1543131922_thumb.jpg

post-2218-0-67096700-1543131962_thumb.jpg

post-2218-0-44334200-1543131995_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Maybe it has something to do with uniformity and the wish to look different in the mass. You find this in every army. Some soldiers looks indentical in thier uniform, others try to look different and wear things that are not standard.

Maybe this civillian/ mixed swords are the reason. 

A landing forces sword is the western wish for something special. Landing forces where normal soldiers and they carry wartime or older swords. The only difference is NCO and CO.

When I became interested in "Gunto" I created a set of files of a) every variation I found of sword identified as carried by the IJA, and b ) every photo' I could find of IJA and IJN forces carrying swords. There are some interesting revelations within these.

Regarding the haiken in the last pic', it is so far the only example I have found that I can confidently say is a WW2 sword with this feature..... but time may reveal others.

• Like 1

Dave, I also collect original unpublished photos of sword carrying soldiers, here are a couple. I think it would make a great thread if we could see photos of  soldiers carrying the swords, with hangers and belts (that I also collect). It would add context to see these period photos.

post-3858-0-68650400-1543235700_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-30798800-1543235713_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Dave,

The position of the Haikan in picture three would allow the sword to be hung from the (at ease) hook on the top of the hanger close to the  belt with the Tsuka forwards as if worn in an obi.

Same as in the preceding picture 2

With the Haikan in the normal position on the mune, this hangs the sword with Tsuka to the rear.

See what I mean with this example from the Imperial War museum:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30106656

It may be that both the officers depicted possessed some skill with a sword.

:)

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

The position of the Haikan in picture three would allow the sword to be hung from the (at ease) hook on the top of the hanger close to the  belt with the Tsuka forwards as if worn in an obi.

Same as in the preceding picture 2

With the Haikan in the normal position on the mune, this hangs the sword with Tsuka to the rear.

See what I mean with this example from the Imperial War museum:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30106656

It may be that both the officers depicted possessed some skill with a sword.

:)

Pretty much my thinking as well. I have also seen sword belts of the period adapted to carry a conventionally mounted gunto in that same position.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..