Shin Gunto Inscription Help

Staylor

Hello,

I am new to the community. A few years ago, I inherited a sword from my great uncle-in-law. All we know is that he brought it back from WWII, which I imagine is a pretty typical story. In trying to research it through the magic of the internet, and trying (and failing) to make headway deciphering the inscription myself, I stumbled upon this site. I'm mostly hoping for a translation of the manufacture date, but any additional information that could be gleaned from this would be wonderful. There's another 4 characters above what is visible on that cloth, but there's a wrinkle that makes photographing it pretty tricky.

Thank you all very much,

Sam T.

P.S.: Sorry the one pic is sideways; it shows up vertically when I open the file...

post-4756-0-26768900-1543113767_thumb.jpgpost-4756-0-84950900-1543113021_thumb.jpgpost-4756-0-78712500-1543112412_thumb.jpgpost-4756-0-42592200-1543113036_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Thank you to you both. Very cool. I assume by that maker that it means it was manufactured sometime during the war? There are no markings that I can make out on the other side of the tang, but here it is, in any case. Later this afternoon I'll try to post a pic of the other characters on the cloth, once I have another set of hands to help hold it so I can snap the pic.

Thanks,

Sam

post-4756-0-25489200-1543155284_thumb.jpg

Yes most likely made mid 1900s in a Japanese arsenal for the war in China and/or WW2. If you search Hattori Masahiro you should get some hits that might tell you a few more things about him. I think there may be a few posts on this site with other examples of his work. 

The other side of the tag is something like 

(personal effect - not 100% sure of the second kanji)

高囗部隊 (Taka-? Division).  Should be the name of the division like Takahashi Division or Takamura Division, but I can't read the kanji after Taka).

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..