#1 Staylor

Staylor

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:48 AM

Hello,

I am new to the community. A few years ago, I inherited a sword from my great uncle-in-law. All we know is that he brought it back from WWII, which I imagine is a pretty typical story. In trying to research it through the magic of the internet, and trying (and failing) to make headway deciphering the inscription myself, I stumbled upon this site. I'm mostly hoping for a translation of the manufacture date, but any additional information that could be gleaned from this would be wonderful. There's another 4 characters above what is visible on that cloth, but there's a wrinkle that makes photographing it pretty tricky.

Thank you all very much,

Sam T.

P.S.: Sorry the one pic is sideways; it shows up vertically when I open the file...

IMG_1841v3.JPG IMG_1805v2.JPG Disassembledv2.JPG IMG_1815v2.JPG

#2 Staylor

Staylor

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:56 AM

Hello,

Me again. I just thought I'd throw a few more picture on here to try and make things more visible.

Thanks again,

Sam T.

P.S.: Again, not sure why one of the pics is sideways. Apologies.

IMG_1811v2.JPG IMG_1807v2.JPG IMG_1808v2.JPG IMG_1810v2.JPG

#3 DRDave

DRDave

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 25 November 2018 - 05:37 AM

I think this is the maker, but can't help with the characters on the cloth.   Is there anything on the other side of the tang?

Dave Davis

#4 SteveM

SteveM

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:23 AM

Hello Sam,

The cloth says 

津野中尉

Lieutenant Tsuno

Steve M

#5 Staylor

Staylor

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:18 PM

Hi,

Thank you to you both. Very cool. I assume by that maker that it means it was manufactured sometime during the war? There are no markings that I can make out on the other side of the tang, but here it is, in any case. Later this afternoon I'll try to post a pic of the other characters on the cloth, once I have another set of hands to help hold it so I can snap the pic.

Thanks,

Sam

IMG_1846v2.JPG

#6 Staylor

Staylor

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 08:25 PM

Here's the top part of the cloth. I'd be curious what this says, as well, if you wouldn't mind. Thank you again. I appreciate your time on this. I'm fascinated to learn more about this.

Thanks,

Sam

IMG_1849v2.JPG

#7 SteveM

SteveM

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:09 AM

Yes most likely made mid 1900s in a Japanese arsenal for the war in China and/or WW2. If you search Hattori Masahiro you should get some hits that might tell you a few more things about him. I think there may be a few posts on this site with other examples of his work. 

The other side of the tag is something like 

(personal effect - not 100% sure of the second kanji)

高囗部隊 (Taka-? Division).  Should be the name of the division like Takahashi Division or Takamura Division, but I can't read the kanji after Taka).

• Brian likes this
Steve M

#8 Staylor

Staylor

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:54 PM

Thank you very much for the translation. I can tell I'm going to be browsing these forums more regularly.

Sam T.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq