Aoi Arts Thoughts On Gendaito

b.hennick

I read the quote below and was surprised by it. Please let us know your thoughts on Tsuruta sans comment.

"But if you check the blade more carefully,some Nagamitsu and Emura

is remarkable work much better than Yasukuni blades.
I think in the near future, Other Gendai blade including Emura and
Nagamitsu will have nice reputation in the future
and also expectation of the rising price.
It will be hard to buy such kind of swords in the future."

Actual URL https://www.aoijapan.com/katana-e-emura/

• Like 3

Gendaitos are mostley copies of Koto pieces. From 1933 there is a lot of science influence in swordmaking. These swords have a lot of quality checks and better forging techniques then in every other sword period. I know that this is not really a point for collectors of the old period but for many others. And they are payable for a huge public.

• Like 3

Yasukuni swords are perfect swords in all aspects. I would buy one when it is reachable in price and condition. For my taste they look all a little boring like a Lexus, Mercedes Benz or Audi and BMW indeed. Perfect but to perfect. Nothing eyecatching. Its a matter of taste. 

Just because it's a Yasakuni doesn't make it better. I have seen yasakuni swords done as utsuishi of older swords and they would serve the purposes of tribute, but not combat worthy, very thin and light. It is all subjectivefor sure

There's truth somewhere in the middle with this, but further away from the sales pitch. Yes, these blades will get harder to find because Shin Gunto are very popular right now, and these two smiths are quite famous and desired, however there are regularly 2-3 of these smiths swords on ebay for quite affordable prices. The quantity of swords these fellows made must be far higher than Yasukuni-To. Perhaps Emura & Nagamitsu are better combat blades, Yasukuni-To are still a high water mark of all WWII Gendaito for so many and that won't change anytime soon. 

There was a very beautiful Emura I saw once which I thought was exceptionally good when viewed against his body of work. It had a long and more carefully executed mei than typically seen. I have also seen an Ichiruishi Nagamitsu in a friend's collection with a carefully executed mei and especially well finished Nakago. I would honestly say that those two swords were on par with average quality Yasukuni-to. In general though, I find those two smith's work to be well below the standard Yasukuni-to, and light years from the work of the best smiths (for example, Kajiyama Yasutoku and Kotani Yasunori).

Aoi is explaining that gendaito in general will go up in pricing and this is very true. Recently i put 5 swords in for Hozon through Paul Martin and all came back accepted. I believe the market is setting the right conditions and acceptances for gendaito in the future.

• Like 2

As i start to collect someone says to me: Look on the blade not on the mei.

That's generally true, and important to weed out gimei, but a nicely done mei can be a pleasure in itself - just look at later Gassan swords, calligraphy in iron!  :clap:

• Like 5

Correct Guido, but the mei has nothing to do with the quality of a sword and the fun of looking on it. My intend was to say that every sword must be judge for it self. 

post-3496-0-96242500-1543140226_thumb.jpg

The Nagamitsu looks like a sword that came fresh from the korean invasion. The Yasukuni to looks like a sword that have never seen a fight but a lot of debates from high ranking persons. Thats my thoughts. 

Both swords are very collectable in my eyes.

• Like 2

As per Aoi Arts:

"But if you check the blade more carefully,some Nagamitsu and Emura

is remarkable work much better than Yasukuni blades.
I think in the near future, Other Gendai blade including Emura and
Nagamitsu will have nice reputation in the future
and also expectation of the rising price.
It will be hard to buy such kind of swords in the future."

Actual URL https://www.aoijapan...katana-e-emura/

As a long time fan and collector  of Nagamitsu and Emura, all I can say is that Aoi Arts is right on! Or at least I think so. Long live Emura and Nagamitsu swords. :)  Let the flames fly.

Rich
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..