Late Edo Shoami Tsuba?

Yukihiro

Hello,

I know very little about Japanese swords and probably even less about Japanese sword guards - from what I was able to gather, this could be a Shoami tsuba. Could you tell me more about it - when it was made (I was thinking of late Edo) and who might have signed it (several kanji on the surface, one of which seems to be identifiable)?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Didier

yCPTtSXh.jpg

iaY7YRXh.jpg

On1MZq0h.jpg

• Like 1

Didier,

I cannot see typical signs for SHOAMI, but that is a wide field to get lost. The MEI is not easily to read as there remains only a part of a KANJI, but our experts might see more than me.
What caught my eye is the NAKAGO-ANA with its dimensions: Wide and short. If the TSUBA was not for a NAGINATA (then it would not have needed the HITSU-ANA) then perhaps something like a YOROI-DOSHI?

Your TSUBA looks old to me and if it wasn't made in late EDO JIDAI to look old ("revival item"), then it is probably a much older TSUBA from early EDO. 

The dimensions of your TSUBA might help for a better assessment.

Thank you very much indeed for your reply.

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to give you more details about this tsuba at the moment, as it is mounted on a gunto I am to receive at the end of next week.

I had also wondered whether the irregular surface could be "tekkotsu", which would plead for an older tsuba.

Didier,

TEKKOTSU looks different. Your TSUBA shows TSUCHI-ME (hammer-work) on the face, but also some ISHI-ME (stone surface), which might have been done intentionally but was perhaps also caused by corrosion in places.  

TEKKOTSU translates as 'iron bones'. The explanation in the books how it is produced is usually not correct. If you look up the term, you will find that almost all authors relate to older text sources, but these mostly don't have a relevant and metallurgically satisfying base.

Perhaps others will be able to relate your TSUBA to a school or even a maker.

• Like 1

The aizu shoami guys did a lot of pieces like this. Here's a (sort of) similar piece from my own collection:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Kod%C3%B4gu-no-Sekai-%E5%B0%8F%E9%81%93%E5%85%B7%E3%81%AE%E4%B8%96%E7%95%8C-266005023454853/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1266641850057827

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

• 2 weeks later...

Didier

Of course it is hard to really tell with photos but I don't see the same kanji on your tsuba as the example.  So I would say most likely not. 

You might try making a rubbing over your signature area and more kanji might appear.  Then again, you might not get anything.  As someone that has tried multiple ways to see if you can get the rest of a faded mei, I can say that the exercise can be extremely frustrating.  Although, if successful most satisfying (been on both sides). 

Best of luck,

Ken 

Thank you for reply, Ken.

I think I will live in ignorance until a similar tsuba turns up and I can link mine to it with some certainty : the last thing I want is to run the risk of ruining an old tsuba another collector might enjoy long after I have passed away just to satisfy my curiosity. I shall leave it as it is and keep on searching the Net for a "sister tsuba".

Regards,

Didier

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..